1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to put on stock seat for more grip

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Lavana, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I don’t have a superbike tail on the R1 . Anything I can put on the stock seat so I don’t slide around so much ?

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

One thing that helped my son on a bike was taking his leathers and using brake cleaner or contact cleaner and cleaning the whole seat to remove the shine and slickness of new leather. I also took some light sandpaper and scuffed it up.

I know I did that to the leathers but I would think you could do it on the stock seat vinyl as well.

Lastly it will probably tear things up a bit, but you could put a couple strips of that sticky 3M sandpaper that's designed to put on steps, and put it on the seat

Lavana and mike-guy like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

adjust your rear sets and put a pillion pad or step in the foam?
    When I ride my 1000... its alot more physically demanding.

418 and Lavana like this.
  4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

surfboard grip pad. I use it on my tank too.

Lavana likes this.
  5. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

I know I took a brand new suit out once and was sliding off when leaned over like it was greased up. Well turns out it was. This was on an older bike so I didn't care but I just cover the seat in duct tape.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We do this on a superbike tail, but you are right, it would probably work awesome on a stock seat. Great idea!!!!!

7. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

8. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

I covered a stock seat with dirtbike style seat cover material. Right over top of the factory cover so that I could just take it off if I didn't like it. It actually worked really well.

I got it from Factory Effex, I ordered it for an ATV seat to make sure it was wide enough, had plenty of material left over. Picture of the material I used for reference, I don't own that particular bike any more.

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/home-page/installing-a-new-seat-cover-how-to-plus-buyers-guide/

seat.jpg

Lavana likes this.
  9. Dominic Pergolese

Dominic Pergolese Custard Tidjle

If you are vertically challenged like I am you can take off the cover and the foam and then put hydroturff right onto the base plate of the seat. It doesn't hurt as much as it looks. Super cheap to do something like this. See attached. 20170728_165658.jpg 20170728_165639.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  10. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

^Hydro Turf. Some dudes like it, some don't. But it grips well. Been using it for years on many bikes.