1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What steering damper would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Slinky001, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

To all,

If you were purchasing a new damper, what would it be?

Any specific reason why?

Ohlin's
    GPR
    Scott
    Pit Bull

Does any one unit really have an advantage over another, other than the fact that the manufacturers tell us they do?

It really doen't matter, but it is gong on an R1

Thanks,
    Brian

2. olgoodf3

olgoodf3 'Merica

I prefer scotts. they have the greatest range of settings from what I've used. I also prefer a very hard dampening force. if you dont the ohlins/hypro might be good for you.

3. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

I like my Hyperpro... lots of settings, active damping so its not like iron when you're at lower speeds.

Cant go wrong with scotts, ohlins, or GPR tho.

4. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

I've run the same Scotts unit on both bikes. Works like a charm. Also, the location of rotory dampers and the build quality of these units results in them crashing very well.

I recently had to replace the top of mine because it was badly ground-down by the pavement when the bike slid upside-down. Otherwise, it's survived many nasty crashes over the years more or less unscathed.

5. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Olgood, wheres about in the Detroit area are ya? Will you be riding V6MW?

PM me. Let's talk.

6. carpediem

carpediem Well-Known Member

i've used hyper pro, gpr, and toby. hyper pro worked fine but I had problems w/ getting parts for it. the gpr was awesome and my only problem came with the size, in a full tuck my hel. would hit it. and the toby was just cheep but worked ok.

7. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

Ohlins!! you will never regret it.. just cost more but totally worth it

8. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

just my $.02 - if you buy a scotts, it actually says "ohlins" on the front. I guess the companies merged or something, I don't really care either way. Ohlins has always been badass, and the first time I saw a scotts (in maybe 1999 or so) I was really impressed. The big thing that has already been mentioned is that it is VERY unlikely that you will throw away your $400 (or whatever) if you crash with a scotts/ohlins unit. they are small, out of the way, and **easy** to adjust on the fly. Happy buying - don't you just love getting new stuff?

9. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Had my Scott's for a year now...works great, lots of adjustment..:up:

10. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

The Scotts damper is a re-branded Ohlins unit. Scotts begain selling them many years ago for dirt bikes, then made the jump to sportbikes.

(just fyi)

11. sickgixxer33

sickgixxer33 Track Whore!!

would anyone suggest the hyper pro over scotts and ohlins.

12. Fog Ducker

Fog Ducker Well-Known Member

I like my ohlins on my gsxr cause it's a direct replacement. It's way down in front of the stem, never gonna damage that in a crash! The only downside is cant really adjust on the fly, but that's alright with me.

13. sickgixxer33

sickgixxer33 Track Whore!!

I like the active feature of the scotts and hyperpro. Just don't know if the hyperpro is any good and worth the cash.

14. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Go with the one who provides the best customer service when needed. I think you'll find Ohlins to be on top in that category. No personal experience, but I've read a thread or two on this site about Hyperpro's customer service or lack there of, not that I believe everything I read either. :rolleyes:

15. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

Ohlins or Scotts are Great!

I have Scotts and love it. I got b/c of it easy adjustibility and the fact the you can transfer it to other bike by just taking 2 screws.
    I usuly have it on my 600RR bike since that's my track bike, but when taking the other girls out to play, easy transfer. With other dampers you would need one for each, but if you have just one dedicated track bike I would go Ohlins, no brainer there, rest of my suspention is Ohlins :up:

16. sqrlnut

sqrlnut Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone answered the WHY, to me it might be ohlins due to the fact that it mounts in the stock location vs. mounting on the tank. Mounting on the tank makes it a pain to some since you have to remove it lift the tank, make adjustments, freplace filters, or just let the bike cool down between laps. plus some guys aren't ok with drilling the frame. Is that what u wanted :up:

17. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

I like the stock mount ohlins the best because it's out of the way. I got sick of takin the scotts off every time I had to get under the tank. I couldn't tell a difference in performance.

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I have a pitbull top mount on my SS bike which is very nice and an Ohlins mounted in front of the forks (oem GSXR location) on my SBK. Both work great. I got the ohlins because i found it for a great price used and the SS bike came with the pitbull. Choose what location you want first, then pick a product which fits into your budget and has good customer service.

19. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

my scotts has worked great I fillped the bike and ground down the pin, sent it back for service, they sent it back flawless with new mounting hardware and all. Great service!

20. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I love the Pitbull that I have on my ZX6. Works really well, it's american made & if anything goes wrong with it, I can count on Charlie & co for great service. What more could you possibly want?