1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size trailer for 2 bikes?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fustyd, Mar 5, 2011.

1. fustyd

fustyd Well-Known Member

I'm looking into an 8'ft utility trailer, what is the min width for 2 sportbikes bikes? 3 bikes? Thanks.

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

You can put 2 bikes into a 5X8 enclosed trailer easily. Fitting 3 bikes onto a 5X8 utility trailer shouldn't be any problem at all, especially with Pit Bull trailer restraints or ST Strapless stands.

3. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I used to put two bikes on a 4x6 flat tilt trailer so 5 feet is plenty, 6 feet wide you could probably fit 3 if you stagger them on a 10 foot long trailer.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have a 6 X 8 open trailer with inside wheel wells and I fit two bikes and almost everything else I need for a weekend in that thing. If I had external wheel wells I could probably wedge three bikes in, but it would be tight. My only concern would be securing the bikes, as the outside bar would be outside of the trailer deck so the tie down would point straight down. Other than that, it should work. You might have to stagger the middle bike aft a foot or two to keep the bars from fouling each other.

5. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

:stupid:

I place 2 bikes side by side in a 4x8 HF trailer, I am thinking to get a 5x8 to get 3 bikes but I think it would be tight fo sure.... I have ST strapless stand, thinking to get Pitbull for the other bike

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I put 2 bikes (FZR600 and F4) in a U-Haul enclosed 4x8 trailer.

7. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

this is how it looks with 2 bike in HF trailer 4x8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fustyd

fustyd Well-Known Member

Seems like smallest best option for 2 bikes is 4X8, enough room for 2 bikes and a little gear upfront/behind? THANKS!!!

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Two bikes in a Uhaul 5'x9',
    f*ckin tight for sure

[​IMG]

10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Thule V-nose enclosed 7'x14' set up for 4 bikes,
    3 on STS stands and 1 on E-track. That's obviously an overkill for two bikes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

That's the nicest 2 bike open trailer out there IMHO
    (behind the black Jeep)
    Kendon two rail trailer

[​IMG]

12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

And I used to own a single rail Kendon myself

[​IMG]

13. fustyd

fustyd Well-Known Member

I'm confused, why does the Uhaul 5X9 look so squished but the first 4X8 look perfect for 2 bikes?

I'm needing the smallest possible for 2 sportbikes and like the big Tex trailer 4X8.
    [​IMG]
    What's up with the Uhaul trailer?

14. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

You be the judge. IMHO 5' wide for a trailer is really tight for two bikes.

In the Uhaul trailer pic I posted above the bikes had the bars touching on the inside
    and there was no room on the outside against the metal side rails.
    We ended up putting the red bike all the way forward against the front wall
    and the other bike was around 4-5'' further back so the bars would just miss
    being in contact.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a Kendon, that ugly green thing you posted
    above I wouldn't trust under any circumstance.
    I would also look at some of the Alumina trailers with the ramp doors on the back.

And I don't know how much you're going to be using that trailer.
    I wouldn't tow bikes on trips (1,000 one way or more- say Boston to Atlanta)
    on anything that's not bullet-proof reliable.
    We ended up with that shitty Uhaul just because we needed to tow those bikes
    one way on something. The thing weighed 1,200 lbs...

The two rail Kendon weighs 400 lbs.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Because the 5 x 9 had side rails, so the bikes need to come in towards the center. This also gives you the ability to get the tie down straps to come out at an angle for triangulation. If the straps are not triangulated, the bike will not be as stable and will fall more easily or the bikes will bounce into each other.

The 4 x 8 used strapless stands on the rear wheels and I would presume work great. I have the same 4 x 8 trailer and for the money they work great.

I think a kendon 2 rail is about 2k and for that much money I would get an enclosed trailer.

16. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

it works great....:up:

17. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

Like anything else, deals are out there, I bought an 2 bike Kendon on Monday, I paid $550 for it, it did need tires, but overall, I think I got a deal. :beer:

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree, and would consider one at that price. I missed one once for $450, if my memory is correct, but usually they are over 1,000 used.

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i dont have pics here at work, but i have a 5x7 open trailer with rails, very similar to the green big tex pictured, and i use two baxley sport chocks spaced almost right to the outside posts. i still use straps with the baxley's and it holds the bikes apart well. i can fit the two sport bikes, my pit bike facing backwards, and most of my gear on the trailer leaving my truck bed pretty empty.

got the trailer for 400 on CL and paid a friend to make a tailgate out of angle iron and expanded metal.

edit: i do have a pic on the phone. and its a knock off baxley. pic is pre-tailgate fab. 5' wide interior rail to rail.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  20. TeleRomeo

TeleRomeo Wanna go WFO?!

You sure did... I want that same deal... lolz