1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Should I Look For and What's a Fair Price?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by SuddenBraking, Jun 30, 2022.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Hey all - talked to this guy on the phone last night and the bike hasn't been ridden in ~10 years, but the guy sounded legit. Used to race minis and then kids got in the way, yada yada. Anyhow, he said the "only issue" was that the choke wouldn't stay up by itself. Other than that, he guessed 50 hours on the top end. Thinking about heading over to look at it on Saturday - anything in particular I should be looking for?

And assuming it seemed relatively sound, what's a fair price? His ad says $2900 FIRM but on the phone he indicated that he'd be reasonable about things (I guess the 50 people on FB who offered him $500 have beaten him down a bit :D).

upload_2022-6-30_8-52-33.png

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If he'll allow it, pull the pipe, look in the exhaust port to check the condition of the cylinder and piston.

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’d want to know what “set up for 170 lb rider” actually means imo. And a real list of what was done to it.

4. SuddenBraking

I wouldn't even know what I was looking at, to be honest.

I guess a more relevant question for me is "with the facts laid out above, what do you think a fair price would be?". The followup would be "what would you expect to need to do in terms of service/maintenance in the short term?".

Any key mods that would be worth a fair amount of money to you? On the phone he mentioned that he's got stiffer springs front and rear and had a heavier weight fork oil. I'll need to beef up whatever he's done for my fat ass, but really I just love the sound of a two stroke so I'd be interested in the bike for that. Had a kx65 that was just too small for me (knees hit the handlebars, and sold to a forum member) so hoping this is a better fit.

5. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

That's probably a $2500ish bike realistically. The hours on the top end are a little bit concerning, I'd plan on putting a piston in it immediately (and hoping you don't find a scored cylinder, worn crank bearings or big end bearing while you're in there). You can check the left side crank bearing easily enough when you go look at it, pull the stator cover off and see if there is any up-and-down play at the flywheel.

With something that has been sitting for so long, I'd make sure that the axles, swingarm pivot and chain adjusters aren't seized.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

2K all day.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A friend bought a "good" condition CR85, that seized on his 2nd test ride and it needed $600 worth of parts to get it running again. He doesnt seemed to be concerned with the jetting...which was obviously off.
    I would check inventory & cost on seals, top & bottom ends, etc.

8. SuddenBraking

Looks like a piston is in stock - might order it and replace just to be safe (I say that like I have any idea of what I'm doing, but fuck it, that's what youtube is for).

upload_2022-7-1_15-43-4.png

@TurboBlew What'd your friend pay? Was it setup for mini racing or an mx bike?

9. TurboBlew

it was an unmolested MX bike he wanted to convert to a super moto mini. He paid $1k + the $600 for a new cylinder/piston, seals, etc.

10. SuddenBraking

Did he have a round number of expected costs to convert to a mini? There's several on FB for way cheaper that are in MX shape that I could convert, but I had it in my head that it'd be pretty expensive to convert (but no actual numbers to back that up).

11. TurboBlew

he was asking about it.
    I think it has a 17" front and a 14 rear.
    A 17" rim & spokes for the rear was <$200 in parts plus whatever tires. I was thinking BT45s would have worked well enough to ride a few open mini days until he got more serious.
    Then a set of 12s, warmers, suspension etc...

12. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

It's usually less expensive if you can find one that's already converted. Prices are still a little bit inflated it seems (post-Covid).

The Chinese cast 12" wheels are about $450 (12" spoked wheels laced your o.e. hubs are $550-600ish), 12" race tires are about $250, heavy fork and shock springs about $250. Kevin Nolde/ GatorRimz has the springs, 12" spoked wheel options and Mitas tires.
    www.gatorrimz.com

73MotoParts has cast wheels and spoked options, PMT/Dunlop/Mitas tires and brake bits. I'm not sure what the common brake set-ups are. The '05+ RMs have 2-piston calipers, but I don't know about brackets to work with a larger rotor. 73MotoParts has a trick 4-piston set-up.
    www.73motoparts.com

Senna and SuddenBraking like this.
  13. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

Conservatively $1000 in wheels/tires. $200-350 in heavier springs. Labor costs to install springs/heavier oil if not a do it your-selfer. New sprocket, chain, caliper relocation bracket $300. A bigger front rotor and better caliper is the best money spent. Just like big track bikes it can get pricey quick for some basic needs.

More importantly, after you buy that pig and get it running, let me know when we are going to OVRP for open track day.

14. SuddenBraking

Actually decided to hold off on that and work on two of the non running bikes in my garage first. Have a TTR 125 that's setup for minimoto and has been sitting for a while, so going to spend a chunk of my weekend trying to get that back into running shape.

BTW, why OVRP and not NJMP kart track? I haven't been since pre-Covid, but used to love going there on a Thursday or Friday and having an open track to myself for $65 for the day.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I always look for tubeless cast wheels and a big brake kit, and a reputable shop that did the suspension.

Lot of guys out here run spoked wheels but I’d rather not have to do tubes if I can avoid it.

I’m new to the mini game and am eyeing a KX65 myself. I have a 140L with GP shift and BT46s that I haven’t had a ton of seat time on. I want to get another day in on that with good weather to see if that is sufficient between big track days before pursuing a KX65.

That, or some sort of GP-style chassis. If my fat ass can fit.

16. IronCactus

IronCactus Well-Known Member

OVRP is a closer for me and the toll-less drive through pleasant low trafficked roads is much better. I like the thunderdome attitude at OVRP. No tech, no riders meeting, no groups, two stoned flaggers sitting in a golf cart in the infield, no early morning etc. Track is really fun and on weekdays there are very few riders.

17. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

If you want a GP chassis, check out my NSR for sale. I really liked have the NSR and the Grom at the track at the same time. They work different parts of your body, so when you get tired riding one just go hop on the other for a while. Different riding styles, and you can run in different classes.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@Senna I think you are in S Cal? I bought a KX65 mini from @SuddenBraking and hope to take it out in the next few months.

If you would like to meet me out there, I’m happy to let you try it, to see what you think about that size of bike for your body, and if it is fast enough or too fast for what you want to accomplish.

SuddenBraking and Senna like this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer! I actually live in CO, so that would be one hell of a drive for a test run. :D

I appreciate it though!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Lolol, yea that’s no bueno!! The only way to pull that off, is if you are married and she wants to go to Disneyland.