1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What services do you tip for?

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Nov 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

So let's expand the moving thread a bit. What services do you typically tip for? Conversely, what services do you know others frequently tip for but you choose not to?

Restaurant servers and hookers are a given so those don't count.

Valet guys I've always tipped at my wife's request but I'm not sure I see the point. For $5, I'd rather just walk to my damn car myself but y'all won't let me. This one always aggravates me.

Barber: Knew a couple girls for years that did it for me so I'd just buy them dinner or something. Never had to worry about whether I should tip or not but thinking I probably wouldn't. Finally just started cutting my own hair.

Masseuse: I feel like these people already get paid pretty well and half the time they own the place so 100% of your hourly rate goes to them. Haven't gotten many massages in my life. The few I did get I tipped because they were generally pretty good and I was in my happy place by the end (even without the happy ending).

Tattoo artist: Another one I'd generally feel weird about except the dude I go to is so awesome, I don't think twice about throwing him an extra $50-$100. He owns the place (so he already gets 100% of collected fees) but he's always gone above and beyond to make sure everything was perfect, spent hours sketching stuff for me ahead of time (at no extra cost), and has never actually charged me for the number of hours spent actually drawing shit on me. I still remember when my wife and I were both getting some stuff done on the same day (not matching tattoos or each other's names or anything like that), I had to go into work for a few hours that day so she went up there by herself to get started. When I arrived, our artist had setup his laptop with some earbuds and Netflix for her to watch something while he did her tattoo until I could get there to keep her company. So he absolutely earns his tips by going above and beyond.

What sayeth the beeb?

2. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Anyone who comes in the house to do work. Anyone who carries heavy shit around for me. I always throw a buck or two in the tip jar when I get pizza, ice cream, etc.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I tip $5 to the guy at Lowe's who trims my Christmas tree.

4. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Tipping has gotten out of hand, no? I mean, that’s the reason for this question, everyone is confused, because so many situations now expect it? It used to be somewhat optional, but now it can be “included” on a bill?

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Huh. I never would’ve thought to go to Lowe’s for that. And ... I don’t call it my Christmas tree, but ... :D:Poke:

auminer and motoboy like this.
  6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Anyone who goes above and beyond. That is becoming rare. I always tip servers, bartenders cause I know they get paid peanuts. My Barber, sure a couple bucks, the Valet $5. Other than that, you gotta impress me. If I have some workers doing maintenance on my property and they give me a price and they do a standup job, I will give them much more then the asking price. If I am getting my car detailed/washed and the guy doing it is actually doing a good job (im really a nit-picker) I will personnally give him an extra $5, not putting it in the shared tip bucket.

People expect hand outs now, and dont do a good job. Me and my wife were at a bar one night and the bartender was hitting on my wife all night and trying to flirt with her IN FRONT OF ME. We had $100 tab and I gave that F!CKER ZERO dollar tip. Dipshit.

Rebel635, jasonhise and jrsamples like this.
  7. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

"Nephew, keep Christmas in your own way and let me keep it in mine!

Chino52405, TurboBlew and Funkm05 like this.
  8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

You tip the valet on the way in so they don't steal shit from your car.

BigBird likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if youre gona show your face at a bar or restaurant... gratuities are the grease that gets you seated and served quickly. Concierges are another must tip if you want to get into popular places or not treated like a tourist. Tip only 15% at a local joint and see how they treat you vs someone that pays 25% or better. Might as well be carrying travelers cheques...lol

R1Racer99 likes this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Servers yes.
    Barber yes.
    Had a guy come to remove a tree from my house and mulch the yard, he did all by himself with a helper only for the end of the day, did give him a good tip.

If was up to me I would get rid of the tip system for servers, pay them a normal wage and include the service on the price of the food.

crashman likes this.
  11. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I use to fly for a fractional aircraft company. We got tips about 50-75% of the time. That was even after the company sent letters to the members telling them not to tip the pilots because we were well compensated. Never expected a tip but they were appreciated . I always tip my mailman and trash man at christmas.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  12. redtailracing

Don't blame you on the bartender. I think I've stiffed a server twice in my life. Even for poor service, I'll tip 15% because I know they're generally paid a fraction of minimum wage and in any other industry, their wages would be rolled into the cost I pay for a product and/or service. But I can think of 2 times they were just so downright rude that it made me violently angry. It was either stand up and ask who the fuck they thought they were speaking to or stiff them on the check. I chose the latter and went on about my business. I will say, my tip % is based entirely on the service and not necessarily the quality of the food. If the food sucks but the service is great (assuming the food sucked in a way that wouldn't have necessarily been obvious to the server) then I will still tip well.

I have wondered in the past if the standard tip percentages should still apply at higher end restaurants but have adhered to it regardless. Last nice place my wife and I went to came out to a $360 check before tip. The service was fantastic (as to be expected at such an establishment) so I gave the guy 20% but doing the math, if he has 8 tables like ours in one 5-9 time frame that all tip similarly, that's a pretty damn nice payday for for a few hours in food service. That said, I suppose it probably balances out a bit against the slow days and I try to remind myself that I worked in food service in my younger years and I still would not go back to it, even for that amount of money if I had damn near ANY other options. Man what a shitty industry to work in (at least for me).

BigBird likes this.
  13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I always tip the person that I jump with. 2 weeks ago we had an ugly line twist and he did a great job of clearing it without taking us to low to a cutaway. But we did end up last out of the plane, yet first on the ground. I always tip them $20.

It's a bit more than just pouring whiskey in a glass and sliding it across the bar.

14. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Fast food workers who do a good job and have a positive attitude. I've even hired some of them. If you can be friendly and positive in that shit environment while making minimum wage, there's value in that.

Deep tissue massage people. If only because you fat, hairy-backed Mary's don't tip them. They have to touch your back fat rolls, you sickos :)

Tattoo artists. Shitty "artists" are everywhere, while real artists are hard to find.

redtailracing likes this.
  15. redtailracing

Having been on both sides of the situation for food service, I like the current setup. As a customer, I'm willing to reward a server probably more than their employer would. As a former employee of the industry, I liked being able to earn based on my performance. It's not terribly different than commissioned based jobs, except in this scenario your commission comes from the customer, not the employer. You just have to know that some people will tip only the minimum or less no matter what but it will often be more than balanced out by those willing to reward a job well done and be ok with this situation.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. I absolutely REFUSE to tip the dude that works in the shitter, and does nothing more than squirt soap in your hand, or pulls paper towels out of the thing and gives them to you.

In my opinion, that shit is just one short step above standing on the sidewalk and saying “give me money” as people walk by.

Someone does something so easy, quick, and unnecessary that them doing it is actually slower and more aggravating than me doing it myself...and they expect me to give them money for it?

Fuck off with that shit.

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You're not tipping that dude, bra.

You are tipping karma that ensures that you will not be working in a shitter.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  18. That logic could be applied to anything.

They basically created work where none was needed, and then expect people to pay for said unnecessary work.

Rebel635 likes this.
  19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Unnecessary?

The owner's want that shitter tidy all the time. It's good business. It's his image. It is a useful thing. You don't see those guys in BP stations where you gave to step over a turd to piss in a yellow sprayed urinal.

Butt that said, karma is a bitch. I'd sooner stiff the caddy, the valets and the bartender. At least I wouldn't have to tell my date that I'm a shitter attendant.

20. Maybe I just haven’t been in the right ones, but I’ve never seen them actually cleaning the shitter.

Seems most of the ones I’ve seen just sit on a stool in front of the paper towel dispenser, and pull towels out and hand them to you, which I can easily (and would rather) do myself.

I see it as a forced interaction that is completely unnecessary.

I do enough good, give enough money, etc to people and orgs that actually need it or earned it, that I’m not worried about my karma.

Rebel635 likes this.