1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What OEM M/C with stock SV650 calipers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sharky nrk, Dec 21, 2015.

1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Book for CMRA allows for any OEM master cylinder to be used in place of the stocker on the SV in the class rules. Stock appears to be a 5/8 non-radial type. I would assume a 16mm R6 radial unit would be a close swap for hydraulic ratio but needs custom lines. Anyone bother with a swap? Or just run the stock unit as the calipers are going to be the issue flex wise anyways?

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I've used R6 master with stock SV calipers. Way better than the stock master but I think something that moves more fluid would be better. One of the newer Nissin radial masters from a Honda or a Kawasaki should work well.

3. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I put a radial master from an '07 or '08 CBR600RR on mine before I changed front ends on my endurance bike. I didn't have any logic to pick the CBR. I just had it left over from my 450supersingle build and wanted to try it. I liked it. It was a bit more firm and was much easier to bleed. We ran Vesrah RJL pads.

The comparison to stock may be a moving target too. I had a few stock SV masters. Some seemed better than others. I put the one I liked best on my sprint bike and the rest were just spares.

4. sharky nrk

Thanks for the replies, we have an R6 brembo and a ZX6R Nissin sitting around and may give them a whirl. Not sure any of them will work with SV lines though cause of the banjo orientation.

5. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

If you need better brakes than stock with good pads and lines, you're probably riding it wrong.

But to give an answer in which you seek, the stock R6 MC is pretty bad ass. 06+ not the S model

6. sharky nrk

Necessary ....... probably not. But if the rule book allows it (and especially if one is sitting on the work bench) ...... why not? Just wanted to see what others may be running to make sure its ballpark.

7. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

The '05 Brembo radial isn't too shabby in my book. The 03-04's aren't great though.