1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What model Lambo is this?

Discussion in 'General' started by BSA43, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have an old 2000 E39 M5 with some Dinan stuff, brakes, wheels, Vortec blower, exhaust, lightened flywheel, etc. with supposedly 540-560HP. I bought it used in 2016 with only 43K miles.

Tyler really wanted to drive it so, we took it out the day he left to go back to school in January. After driving it he said, "wow thanks for showing me that old cars can be fun too. I don't have to have the neatest brand new car". He was really hooked when it broke loose in 2nd and 3rd gear. :crackup:

BigBird, Kolbe and trussdude like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Big time.
    I can't even imagine living with a regular mass produced sportscar anymore. I'll take a sporty AWD 4 door with some comfort and interior space over a sportscar any day until I can afford to own 2-3 cars. And even if I could, I'm not even sure I'd want to anymore.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's all well and good. It's still a car that cost more than the first house I built and that makes them a no go. On that list the LF-A is the only one I'd be the least bit interested in owning. I guess if I was the kind of person that buys thing with the intention of owning them, using them for a bit and the selling them I might look at it differently but that's just not the way I function. I buy stuff and use it until it's worn out or fails to function.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm not saying they are good value. I'm saying if you want to use them like they are meant to and don't mind the depreciation, you can do it.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

If you're driving it more than 8,000 miles/year, I'm impressed. I'm not trying to bash on the cars themselves, I'm just more appreciative of practicality in a street car than I used to be.

Just like most of the folks on this forum aren't streeting R6s, I think there are much better street cars than a Lambo, etc.

7. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

The insurance premium alone on a Lamborghini or McLaren is probably more than my whole car payment. Even if I could afford the purchase price I doubt I could ever afford to street it.

8. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

My neighbor just bought a brand new McLaren 570s - his insurance premium on it is less than what it cost to put his 16 year son on his policy for the 18 year old car he drives.:)

I love E39 M5's. I have a 211 E55 with a bunch of Kleeman parts on it (have done a 11.2 1/4 on drag radials with it). . .Have had it for well over a decade and drove it last weekend over 400miles. . .got home and my neighbor let me take out the McLaren so I had a back to back comparison: I love my E55 and will keep it forever (I have over 115,000 miles on it now and still drive it like I stole it) but that McLaren is mind boggling fast - I was hitting triple digits on normal passing at 1/8 throttle. While I don't think my license would survive owning it, it's worth every penny and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on one if I could. I was recently talking with an owner of a McLaren 720 and the way he described the speed was "it makes my 488 feel like a Prius". . .:crackup: He also said every time he drives it, he has a blast. . .The 570 is remarkably civil driving normally and I wouldn't hesitate to daily drive it. It was a short experience with it, but from it, I would definitly say they have come a long way from the older supercars and if you're seriously considering getting a McLaren DO NOT DRIVE ONE because you will find all sorts of excuses to get one. . .:D

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Boman Forklift

I was 23 when I bought my 930 turbo, and learned from the insurance agent, if it was listed as a second car, the rates where very reasonable. So my daily driver was a 79 rabbit/golf diesel and the 930 was my second car. I think it was only $2-300 per 6 months for full coverage.

Your M5 sounds very fast, mine has the Kleeman exhaust too. I'm amazed the new M5 is supposed to do the quarter mile in under 10.9 seconds and zero to 60 in 2.8.

HPPT sent me a video that has me gun shy on ever owning a McClaren. They are out of my budget when you have to start repairing them.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

MP4-12C was their first production car since the F1 in the mid-90s, if you can call that a production car. And the first 100% in-house design. The F1 has a bespoke BMW engine, not used in any BMW.
    They were ramping up a whole new business with the MP4 and have since released quite a few new models. I'm sure things have gotten better. But you were looking for the ones that took the big depreciation, and that's the MP4.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Yea, the only way I could afford one is to pickup one that had a high depreciation hit. Thanks again for that link. Later I want to watch some of his other stuff, at the end he mentioned reviewing other nice cars like a Lambo and a Ferrarri.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

The E39 M5 is one of my all time favorite cars. I had one about 10 years ago and decided to take it to a BMW CCA track day at Summit Point. The track really highlighted it was more of a touring car, but it was a blast none the less.

13. :stupid:

I can’t imagine living with one of them. I tried, but have never actually sat in a Lambo because I got halfway down and was like “ok, fuck this”, then stood back up and walked off.

They are cool to look at, and some are really badass. The one that Lockdown (Decepticon) transformed into is the single most badass thing on Earth. But no way I could have it as a daily driver.

I like the Turbo Bacon, or the new Jaguar F-Pace SVR, shit like that. I like fast vehicles that are luxurious, but still comfortable and useful. A Lambo/Ferrari/etc doesn’t appeal to me.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ferrari's do appeal to me. Especially the newer ones. But, if I'm spending 200-300k on a car, that bitch is going everywhere with me. I'd have that trunk so dirty from hauling 2x4's, mulch, pvc pipe, gravel, dog food.

Do you have to flag objects hanging more than 3' out of the front???

pscook likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, he runs a supercar rental business, so he has really solid ownership experience with a number of brands/models.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The snotty attitude of everyone from the factory down to the dealers would have kept me from ever owning one (new) even if my life had turned out differently and I had been in a position to do it. I would've bought a F40 and gotten modern cars from someone else. :D

17. eggfooyoung

Me. Going to the job...
    car.jpg

18. eggfooyoung

The family. Camping... car3.jpg

Boman Forklift and TurboBlew like this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a friend that details some very exquisite vehicles... I always smile when he tells me about a $5,000,000 car that had french fries in the seat rails or a spilt coffee on the seat...lol.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

that v12 ferrari station wagon coupe ...