1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Ultimate retired racers sportcruiser?

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, May 16, 2017.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Lots, but the short list....
    1. Recall on fuel sensor in fuel tank, return to dealer
    2. Front brake MC failed, return to dealer
    3. Rear brake MC started getting soft
    4. Killed the battery after a year.
    5. Bought brand new battery, serviced, installed, lasted 1 year

This is a $20-22k motorcycle. I have a 2003 R6 I race and ride at trackdays..... along with 10 other motorcycles.... This 1 Ducati took more maintenance than all others combined.

2. Those are great bikes, depending on duration of the trip.

I demo'ed one that somebody brought in on consignment and spent all day on it.

As far as Sport Touring bikes go, the Ninja 1000 falls here....

Touring............|..Sport

It would be great for a 2hr trip where you planned on riding for fun once you got there. I'm about 1-1.5hrs from Cherohala; the N1k would be great for going there, having fun, and riding back (after taking a break for a couple of hours).

The windscreen doesn't offer much protection, saddlebags aren't very big, seat is hard, a good bit of vibration through the pegs, and the ergos aren't conducive to 500mi trips.

But it is very sporty. I wouldn't have a problem doing a track day on one.

condon66 likes this.
  3. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Pretty close :)

It does look a bit thinner and is said to have the option of a DCT transmission.

4. dlafz1

dlafz1 Well-Known Member

For the Multistrada folks, how is real-world maintenance and reliability?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They'll go 15k or so without anything more than oil. It's also not that hard to do it yourself, just don't get caught up in the Ducs are too hard to work on mindset.

dlafz1 and 83BSA like this.
  6. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

I put nearly 34K on my 2010 S Touring, and had virtually zero issues. When both the 15K and 30K servicings were performed, valves were at spec despite some very aggressive riding, including multiple track days. Toward the end of the ownership of that bike, I had several times when it wouldn't recognize that I had the key (you don't insert it for ignition, it just senses it in your pocket). You can punch in a code if that happens, but it's kind of a hassle. Other than that, no real issues. My 2016 Pikes Peak has been outstanding so far, with nearly 5K ridden.

[​IMG]

XFBO, 03RumbleBee and dlafz1 like this.
  7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I guess im a weirdo, i just dont get the whole overgrown dualsport thing.
    Maybe its just a excuse to ride a somewhat normal motorcycle....

8. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

"Normal" is a cycle on the washing machine.... Nothing more....

Britt and Sabre699 like this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Main iincentive for me was that are comfortable for tall guys and still sporty, if you consider the FJ-09 in that category (but it's far from an offroader).

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I think it's the ability to soak up the "street" with little to no drama. Take any other bike through any heavily used old city, then take it with an Enduro. You'll understand. This readily translates to "off the beaten path" usage where, really, nothing else will suffice if you're traveling with baggage.

11. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

You're pushing me. It's like you know I've allocated the money for the new bike and that there's a (slim) chance that I won't get the FJ. You a Yamaha rep?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Multi is more comfortable for me than even full dress cruisers or any sportbike. It's the best balance of both types and can do some off road as well although I don't.

13. fastfreddie

I thought you bought it to learn how to wheelie? :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It does that too me with no conscious effort on my part - I actually don't want to wheelie :D

15. :stupid:

I've also demo'ed a lot of cruisers, and I dont like the foot positioning. I don't feel as "in control".

The Multi gives me the feeling of being in control, like a sportbike...but with more leg room and without being hunched over.

Granted, I've only ridden one for about 2hrs, but I really liked it.

In general, i like the ergos of ST bikes better than full-on cruisers.

16. fastfreddie

I've always equated cruiser styles to lounge chairs and sportbikes to bar stools.
    You ain't jumpin' out of a lounge chair as easily as you may want when shtf and you may be restricted in your movements in an attempt to dodge stuff.
    Bar stool? Throw that uppercut, I'll dodge or jump. It may not be successful but at least I'm not a sittin' duck.

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I did work at bike shows as a Yamaha rep, but my 9 to 5 is completely unrelated to the motorcycle industry. :beer:

Past Glory likes this.
  18. turner38

I get the roominess for tall guys, the fact that they are pretty well rounded gor the most part.

What i dont get is the desire to take a 500lb motorcycle off road...

I road a ZRX forever because it was a great all around bike that fit me.
    I ride the ZX14 for the same reason, im not short but not tall either but do have short arms and legs so it fits pretty well.

I just dont like twins either, i want smooth even power. Not something that feels like its missing all the time.

Its a good thing we have a variety of bikes to choose from, it makes it easier to find tge right one that suits us.

19. If they ever put the Panigale engine in a Sport Touring bike, it would be awesome. They increased the bore and shortened the stroke a lot. That extremely oversquared engine revs very fast and very smooth. Having had a 1098, RSV4, and now the 1299, the Panigale motor feels/revs much more like a V4 than it does one of the older 1x98 motors.

It doesn't have that "lumpy" thumping sort of feel to it. It revs really fast (you find yourself running into the rev limiter repeatedly till you get the hand of it).

20. turner38

I can feel the miss in even the smoothest of V4's... it aggravates me. Twins drive me nuts.

Singles, triples or inline fours for me.
    Unless its a two stroke of course.