1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Ultimate retired racers sportcruiser?

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, May 16, 2017.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

How do you like the KTM for moderately aggressive street riding? I have an R100RT that I use for a yearly camping trip, but I don't really have a strong connection when riding it. It's plenty capable in the corners when riding with my buddies on SV's, but I just don't feel that engaged. I've been liking the idea of doing more ADV type riding, so I was thinking about a 950/990/1090 adventure R as a replacement. The biggest thing that concerns me is street riding with a 21" front wheel.

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I love it. It handles surprisingly well on pavement with the 21" front. The limiting factor is the tire you're using, i.e., knobbies vs. dual sport, etc.

At one point, I had a second set of wheels built by Woodies Wheel Works - a 19" front and a 17" rear. I could keep street (sticky) rubber on the 19/17 set and knobbies on the 21/18 set and swap wheels for my riding choice. It was great, but I found I was not fully using the sticky street rubber to its full capabilities. I could do enough, for me, with decent dual sport rubber on the 21/18. So, I sold off the motard wheel set and I go today with the 21/18.

Look, the 990R is a TALL bike (+2" travel over the regular 990). Pitch a 500 lb, long travel suspension bike into a corner like you would an SV and you're asking for a regrettable experience, regardless of the wheel size or the tires. But, you can have one helluva a lot of fun, at extra-legal speeds.

Heidenau Scout or Pirelli Scorpion tires are fine on the pavement and adequate in the dirt. Dunlop 606 or 908 front is sketchy on pavement but great in the dirt.

Cheers,

Dave

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

After posting in this thread back in May. I bought the ultimate sport ‘missile’ I suggested. Nope not retired from Racing yet however I probably should.

My first Kawasaki, I’ve put 5500 miles on it since late June all out on the road traveling, camping and just having a blast on it. Thing is very fast, comfortable, handles good for a big bike, has all the right stuff in all the right places and it’s FAST!

Good friend of mine couldn’t resist either and he bought one to. They stay loaded and ready to roll.

[​IMG]

03RumbleBee, rocalotopus and beac83 like this.
  4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Very cool. Thanks for the feedback. I guess the biggest issue I'll have to come to terms with is the height. I'm only 5'8" and I know the shorter the bike, the more likely I am to ride it hard offroad.

I know what you mean about not needing super sticky rubber on the street. I put a set of TKC80's on my 525EXC 17" wheels last year and was able to rail pretty hard around corners with them. I don't see any reason to put anything else on them for street riding, especially considering how much more fun I can have exploring on grass and dirt. I got a second set of wheels with slicks mounted now for track work.

5. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

TL1000S With sorted suspension

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Height issues . . . .

I have a friend who is 5'-7" (standing on his toes) and he rides a KTM990 (not an R version). He stands beside the bike, feeds out the clutch and jumps on a la getting on a horse. Works for him, but he is an excellent athlete with great balance and offroad riding abilities. So, it can be done. I'm 6'2" so I can nearly flat foot the R.

Cheers,

Dave

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Bigger guys doing wheelies caused issues as well. I believe there was a proper change in the mid 2004 bike.

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Yeah, the location of that weld would be stressed by that sort of foolishness.

I believe they re-engineered the frame to move the weld away from the stress point.

Riders Discount likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The Ultimate retired racer is Kenny Roberts.
    He rides a Super Tenere'.

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

King Kenny certainly is an ultimate retired racer. No doubt about that.

IMHO, having ridden one for two weeks in Europe, the Yamaha Super Tenere is a pig that will roast your left leg and will make you appreciate, and long for, the KTM 990, 1190, or 1290, Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Explorer, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Kawasaki ZX14, even, God forbid, a BMW 1200GS.

Cheers,

Dave

11. fastfreddie

Well, he was a flattracker. :D

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Touche. Good point.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Only because it is a Yamaha...

14. fastfreddie

I heard it was also his only bike. That might say somethin' but it was prolly a gift.

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

41k miles traveled on a Super Tenere and not once did I feel my leg roasting, I didn’t wear short pants riding it either.

Maybe I had a special one, dunno but I can say without a doubt it was a very sold, durable and well built motorcycle, I was tough on it too out west several times and in places big bikes should not go. It did all that and then some with not one problem ever.

It is still clicking miles today with the new owner.

cav115 likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Man, some of those ADV bikes are HIDEOUS.

17. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I was very happy the day I bought my brand new 2015 Duc Multi..... and I was even happier the day I sold it.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why? This is a bike I'd be interested in.

19. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Should be a good amount of bikes coming on the market this fall. They are announcing a new Wing next month.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

To be built on the same platform as the 2018 Accord :D

scottn, badmoon692008 and turner38 like this.