1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Ultimate retired racers sportcruiser?

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, May 16, 2017.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Considering your historical perspective?

2. Hushup.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Owned a '04 FJR1300 (actually it was the wife's bike). Totally awesome machine, did several 800+ mile trips per day on it. Handled the twisties just fine if you kept your head screwed on tight. Final summation= sold it as it was just too refined for my tastes. Nothing wrong, just kinda boring.

4. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

With the criteria for me being, fun factor, versatility and comfort, in that order. Having recently owned two 6th generation VFR's, one 7th gen VFR, Harley Street Rod and a 2014 Pikes Peak Multistrada, the winner is......... IMAG0601.jpg

XFBO and 83BSA like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How does it do on dirt? Info on the wheel swap?

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

That's the Enduro I believe; it comes with those wheels. Note the DSSA.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Watch out on the 01-04's. They had frame issues.

XFBO likes this.
  8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There were a bunch with bad welds. I had an '02, and it was recalled/inspected something like 4 times. Never was an issue on mine.

A tech told me at the time, that the only ones having the issue were the guys who would bounce it off the center stand while fully loaded, and the guys who added trailer hitches and towed trailers.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My ST1100 suffers from that malady. Boring. Mile eating m'fer but it will suck your soul.

10. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thanks TJ. Ive read '02s had frame issues.

I think '06 and newer i should be ok. No towing in the works nor bouncing the needle off of the red limiter.

No sweet-jump taking either.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Saw a burgman in Alaska this year, it was his third trip on it. His buddy was on a BMW with all the options.

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I'm with Bugslayer. I have a 2017 Multistrada 1200S. Awesome bike. Two up, with bags, one up in Sport mode, on gravel in Enduro mode . . . it is awesome. And, that is compared with the other current street bikes in the garage: 1991 VFR750, 2000 VFR800, 2010 KTM990R, 2001 KTM 400EXC, 1986 SRX600, 2000 XR650R, 1989 Hawk 650GT, 1986 Cagiva 650SS, 1981 Ducati 900 Hailwood, 1971 Norton Commando, 1965 BSA Spitfire, 1971 BSA B50SS, . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I really, really like my ZX-14. It has a really stable chassis, reasonable Ergonomics and almost enough power stock. Plus it's a lot of fun when you pick on kids on Pure sportbikes in the mountains while lugging around in fourth gear.

masshole likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's an old ass engine. (did I just outBroome Broome ?)

Seriously, the 1050 engine was cool when it was released, in the nineties. But now, even with the updates, it feels antiquated and Triumph seriously need to develop an new engine. It feels like a big slow lump compared to my Yamaha crossplane triple. I know, I replaced my Speed Triple with an FJ-09.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

If you're into antiques, I have 2 old FJs. An '85 and a '89. They are my current sport cruisers. Air cooled, easy maintenance and purple plates (ie antique plates). full value coverage insurance is CHEAP, easy on gas and still go like stink. I did mod the '85 to put 17" wheels on it also on the rear of the '89. Owned the '85 since new so every couple of years I get idea to spend a little cash on it for an upgrade, sporting cartridge forks, R1 brakes, Penske shock, stage III jet kit, exhaust...the list goes on but it was a rocket right out of the box...just a tad heavy to be a true sport bike....hence sport cruiser.

16. It won't win any Superbike championships for sure, but for a Sport Touring bike it is great.

Makes about 125-130hp, 75-78ft/lbs, can power wheelie from 4k RPM, and gets over 50mpg. Not to mention it has been bulletproof. I've never hesitated to leave home on a trip that was well over 24hrs worth of riding, one way.

17. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Should have been clearer. I had the 2014 PP Multi. It was fun as shit, but fragile IMO. I bent both wheels riding off road with it. The enduro model is new for 2017. So far much tougher and truly capable in the dirt. Spoked wheels come on it. Plus they're 19 front and 17 rear. More better for off roading. It's still a big ass heavy bike for dirt, but you just have to remember that.

83BSA likes this.
  18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

My Multi Enduro is about 140 - 150 lbs heavier than my KTM 990R (640 vs 495 lbs). It makes a big difference in the dirt.

The Katoom is the R model with +2" suspension travel. It makes a big difference offroad when the going gets gnarly.

The Duc makes about +40 hp than the KTM (140 vs 100 hp). It makes a big difference when you wack the throttle two-up with loaded bags.

The Duc has every electronic control known to modern the technology. The R model has none - not even ABS.

Depend how you want to use the bike and what you intend to do. The wife loves them both - all day comfy two-up and wil go anywhere, do anything in plenty of style.

YMMV.

Cheers,

Dave

19. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

You are doing everything right. Carry on.

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I Saw a new Ninja 1000 decked out with exhaust, taller windscreen, light suspension work and a few other sensible mods the other day that seemed like a real nice old man's sportbike. It put down about 145 at the wheel and the owner said he absolutely loved it.

condon66 likes this.