1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happens When Millenials Run the Workplace?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, they can make the cash now if they have the skills. I keep yapping on about the kid I know who is a welder and is easily pulling six figures but could double that with the "as much over time as you want" part of his job. His brother is a diesel mechanic and he had 4 offers before he even got out of school.

Code monkeys are a dime a dozen and you can get them for next to nothing.

EE, well, they are hard to find and you almost have to look to India.

Want to have fun? Try and find a mason with an active security clearance. Talk about a license to print money!

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I live in the EE mecca. 5 Engineering schools within 4 hours of me. I've got EE's coming out of my ears.

Masons. Try finding a mason period. Talk about a dying art.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You just don't know the right handshake :D

Lawn Dart likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's hot/cold, dirty very physical work. Much of society looks down on the blue collar guys (until they need them). Very few new non-immigrants are going into the business. Same can be said for drywall and roofing.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    Too many people coming out of college think they deserve a corner office right off the bat and are allergic to getting dirty. Physical labor messes up their manicured hands and lumbersexual clothing.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You ever see a 40 year old mason? Bow legged and their hips are shot.

Drywalling and roofing? All Hispanics (Mexicans and El Salvadorian) around here.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That's pretty much the way it is here, with a couple exceptions. Companies are owned by some of the old guard, but most of the labor now is hispanic. The Lumbee Indians in NC used to be big in drywall in the southeastern part of the state. I don't know if they still have as large a share of the market there as they did 30 years ago.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

We don't have those problems because we are importing people to make up for the difference in population that we're not making on our own. Every modern westernized country is below replacement fertility rate.

Japan however is extremely xenophobic so they refuse to import people from other southeast Asian countries to take up the slack, they are just letting their population die off. I would have to imagine it hitting a breaking point eventually where the government will have to start allowing more immigrant workers from other countries in before it all collapses. Right now their are selling more adult diapers than they are infant diapers in Japan.

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Up up down down left right left right start?

SWAT_Spyder76 likes this.
  10. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the ceiling is as high as having the right degree and making the right choices, but you guys are hitting the nail on he head with regards to trades.

I'm a machinist. Been doing it 25 or so years. My pay before I took over managing a shop was still well above the average for college graduates in the state of NC. Out of 25 guys in my dept I would really only consider 3 or 4 "machinists". The rest are just button pushers. Sure they can read Mics and make offset changes but that's about it. The rest, they suck at. Hell even my programmers who are great at being able to make the software do what they want suck. Because although it does what they want they have no idea how to actually machine a part.

I've got a few young guys who have actually told me that they don't wanna learn how to run the 5 axis mill or the live tooling lathe or the wire EDM because they don't make enough...... All I can do is shake my head and think " you dumb ass, if you would learn how to do this stuff I could get the owners to give you more money" .

I'm willing to train the guys to be able to the job and my company is even willing to pay if you're good and are willing to learn. But these fucksticks want paid up front.

........ Shit I could go and on about the total lack of good employees in my chosen field.

NeMesis119 likes this.
  11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

This field really interests me. I have a decent home shop but am considering buying a used CNC which I have no idea how to run, I just want to learn it. I can hold my own on my Bridgeport mill and my lathe but would like to learn programming to make more elaborate parts. I think if I can get proficient with a CNC I need to step up my game and start a side business versus what I do now.

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

this is exactly me too. i WISH i could learn that stuff from somebody in my spare time. i'm handy with tools, working on cars, motorbikes, wood, etc... enough for home/hobby use. i'd LOVE to be able to run a 4 or 5-axis CNC and start making my own bicycle parts or motorbike parts or whatever on the side. just cause i like to tinker. i'd really like to learn MIG/TIG welding too. i just don't have the resources close by or the time to do formal training school type stuff. if i lived closer to my old race shop, i'd just go there a few evenings a week and throw my boy some bucks to teach me... its so far now though that its just not possible. living in an apartment currently, my huge tool chest and bikes are set up where a dining room would normally be haha. why anyone already IN the field already for a job would turn down learning that stuff is beyond me. if i had a garage i'd just start collecting good used machines and get to it.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, one of the aspects of all you "economic experts" blathering about the deficit, or national debt, not mattering fails to look at one simple facet of all that debt. The most important part of the economy is what all us dumbass citizens think, and do, about it. Most people look at debt on a more personal basis and react because of it. Our collective decisions on that "unimportant national debt" is what will make that debt drive us under water in the end. Have you considered that?

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

One of the most time wasting endeavors is to try to explain the private debt, government debt, and all the related issues on a forum. I suspect you will agree with that. :D Even people that have been involved in it for years cannot think of all the related aspects of it and they, at least, know all the terms used to try to explain it. for us here, it's time we will never get back and I'm too old to waste time since I don't have that much left anymore. Let's go fishing. :beer:

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You got catfish there?
    I love me some catfish rolled in flour and pan fried.
    Tails on.

16. Colin Fulks

Colin Fulks New Member

I just stumbled across this thread as I'm sitting in the back of an Econ lecture. As a 20 year old college kid, I can say that I would HATE to be an employer with the current crop of graduates coming out of college.
    I listened to a girl complain about her grade being low even though she "showed up and did the best" she could. Sometimes the best you can do isn't good enough and you need to figure out a way to be better. That's one thing I wish people my age would realize; just because you show up doesn't mean you deserve the grade as someone (me) who has stayed up all night trying to understand government policies about agriculture while you're out at the bar and posting Snapchats and selfies drunk.
    Another is this: yes, technology is great, BUT there is a time and a place. (I know I'm typing this in class so I have little room to talk). Millennials are so caught up in sharing every little detail of their life with everyone as if people care. Posting a selfie of you and your friends at the bar on Facebook and Instagram does nothing but clog up my day with more stuff I don't care about, as well as show your future boss what you enjoy doing. Texting and snap chatting while driving is all too common around town and it shouldn't be. Nobody cares that you're driving to class instead of taking the bus.

I'll get off my soapbox now. To all employers considering millennials: good luck finding good ones

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This is good stuff. :crackup:

R Acree likes this.
  18. Colin Fulks

Colin Fulks New Member

Hey, when it's reviewing a test you made a 100 on, I don't think paying attention is as important as the attendance points :rock:

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good points.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

BTW, show us your report card.