1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened..

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by RZ Racer, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm hoping the hipsters who are into bikes on the street will as they age get in to racing them.

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Only if they know what do to and where to do it!

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Valid point.

Steven

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I was sadly the only one in it at Talladega this weekend....

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The weather was awesome... yes races both days and practice Friday... You guys should have come instead of posting here all weekend... it was a good time.

Killswitch likes this.
  6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well i had plans for Tally but due to having issues after hurricane last yr and shop full of cars and we lack of interest.
    I canceled going.
    May make a race yet.
    I did take note of the original thread and lack of involvement from V5 down.
    Also notice that V6 up has declined in entries also but for Eboz and Ray.
    Noticed that some V8 guys have went to AHRMA and are racing there.
    Figured id look at next yr and be more prepared financially to make the road trips.
    But time to do something to get Vintage guys back to Wera.

Steven

7. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

So I just turned 30 and this is my first year racing. I chose to race in the v8 class because of the smaller grids and the “everybody has to go to work on Monday” mentality. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to make it to as many races as I anticipated since I just bought a house and have a job (oil and gas) that doesn’t give me a lot of time off.

While I love watching vintage motorcycle racing. I don’t think I would ever consider racing anything older than my 06 Gsxr600. For one the fuel injection thing. I know how to jet and sync carbs (built and rode a 78 cb750 for a while) but there are so many other things to be worried with on a race weekend. I don’t want to be fiddling with the carbs on top of everything else. You figure for around $2500 you can get a modern fuel injected bike with modern usd forks that’s already race prepped and might have 2-3 seasons on it. Or you can get a mid 90s bike with carbs, outdated suspension and brakes that’s also race prepped and most likely has been whooped on at the track for the last 15 years. Tire costs I would assume to be roughly the same, as with brakes, chains, sprockets, and race spares. The travel expenses will be the same. What bike would you rather ride?

8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well you are at least trying to race given your time and job.
    But honestly my F3 takes no maintenance other than me being lazy.
    And i can use 2 sets of tires a yr if i run 6 rounds at 2 races a day for each.
    And my bike and 1 other bike (JT) bike are only ones that are Hondas that dont have HRC parts or are not EX HRC bikes
    Aka Factory bikes on grid.
    As far as carbs these bikes are dialed in and other than a battery and suspension freshen up.
    A buddy bought Mitchell Bruce ex HRC F2 and its in Texas in Cmra this last weekend.
    And i know where there are bikes under 2500 that are ex Factory or Championship winning V7 bikes.
    So even though you are set be sure to tell others.
    Also im a phone call away for any setup or tuning advice for these bikes.
    Vintage guys will bend over backwards to help you make the grid.
    We even help V8 guys too.
    You will find vintage guys are a great group.

Steven

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've never been to Tally as it's a fucking haul (750 miles one way)

I personally love the V8 class for the reasons Kyle mentioned...we love to race but we have the "Gotta go to work on Monday" mentality. That's nice in both the calculated risks we are willing to take, as well as the cost needed to have a competitive machine.

Maybe it's the Broome in me (more than likely age, as Kyle and I are a year apart) but I'd rather hit the button and go and not fuck with carbs on race day. Plus the ~2005 era-ish bikes are the ones we "grew up" with when we were of age to get on these things so I think we naturally gravitate towards them.

But yeah, you can build a bike to be nationally competitive (Won V8 HWT last year at the GNF) for pretty cheap in the V8 class. We're all cheap as fuck and race on take offs most of the time and run pump gas. I don't even have carts in my forks and I do just fine. I still run an off the shelf PC3 map that the PO had on the bike before I got it...damn thing has never even been custom tuned...

I like the V8 class enough that I'm looking to sell my ZX10 to pick up a 600 just so I can race both classes. A damn shame, after I spent the time and energy building my bike to where it's at now (3 sets of wheels, spares, etc). I can't seem to get much of a gentleman's agreement for the few guys in the medium weight class to allow my ZX10 in it. I'd race it in both classes if they'd agree to it. Yeah yeah, big bike in a little class...save your excuses. Some of guys that threw the biggest bitch fit about the idea were also some of the slowest (I could race them on a 600 and still be the same ~10 seconds a lap faster...)

Military move mid season killed it for me this year. Hoping to make RA and salvage what I can. I had zero intent to go to the GNF since I wouldn't have the points to be competitive for the title again, but since N2 added the 4th endurance round, I'll be bringing my ZX10 and doing the V8 race there because I'll already be there anyways for the endurance.

2019...after I'm settled in at my new place...I'll be making all the rounds again. Hopefully for both medium weight and heavy weight. :D Maybe Sean can re-write the rulebook and only allow 2005 ZX10's to be in V8 medium weight so I don't have to sell my bike. LOL! :D (But seriously...think about it ;) )

TLR67, Kyle Brosius and VFR#52 like this.
  10. Kyle Brosius

Yeah I’ve never met a nicer group of people than the people I’ve encountered racing with WERA especially the vintage guys. Everybody is more than helpful and willing to lend parts, tools, and expertise. I wasn’t aware that you could buy that level of v7 bike for so cheap. I’m in the process of trying to get a buddy of mine on my old 04 600rr to come over to the v8 class from track days.

Wheel Bearing and VFR#52 like this.
  11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well Jamie ran one of those so we can help you with that bike.
    We do try and help get more riders in Vintage.
    My basic problem is i was racing F3s and ZX6R back in 95 and 96 when new in 600 classes.
    And if I toss it down i have plenty of parts to put it back together.
    So if i put another bike together it would be my 86 VFR 750 i won V6 Title on back in 01.
    Even bought a few TLs thinking i may race V8 on one.
    Then reality set in.
    Im to cheap. Lol
    Have 3 in pieces if anyone wants to deal.
    Lol. They are S models.

Steven

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  12. Kyle Brosius

I do exactly what you mentioned and I race in V8MW and V8HW (although I’m not extremely competitive in V8HW). I’ll be at the GNF this year even though I have no shot of winning points. I’m #171 on a blue and yellow GSXR600 with novice plates (which I’ll probably keep for ever since I have no desire to race in the meat grinder to get bumped to expert). Stop by and shoot the shit if you see me there.

Like you said that era of bikes was what we had pinned up on our bedroom walls in high school. My first bike was an 85 FZ750 and there’s no way I’d have the balls to race that after being on a modern bike.

VFR#52 likes this.
  13. Wheel Bearing

I know it's not the same for everyone, but I've raced a few bikes over the years and I'm at the point now where I'm the same speed regardless of what I ride. I'm within 2 tenths of a second of both my bikes (09 ZX6 and 05 ZX10) at any track I go to. If I break down the lap into sectors, it's vastly different and hard to believe it's the same rider...but the lap time ends up being damn close anyways. I'm sure if I got on a new modern liter bike with all the doo-dad's I'd drop a few seconds (I'd bet money on it actually) but for now, it's the same.

Barber, for example, isn't a big bike track. I would have no advantage over you racing against you there, but if I'm faster than you fair and square, you could just pull the "well he's on a 10r" excuse...which would work until I got my ZX6 and put down the exact same times. :crackup: But either way, you'll have to be running sub 34's at Barber to get out in front of me in the HWT class (assuming I keep it upright)

VFR#52 and Kyle Brosius like this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

My biggest hesitation with the older bikes is spares availability. You can find cheap V8 bikes (03+) all day long on craigslist or whatever. Well, and I already have like 4 bikes and their spares in the garage. I need another bike platform like I need a hole in my head.

VFR#52 and Kyle Brosius like this.
  15. Kyle Brosius

You can also pickup a seriously built v8 race bike for pretty cheap although not as cheap as a v7 bike. My bike was an ex Isle of Man bike with a superbike motor and Ohlins suspension that I snagged for 5k. There is an ex graves r1 in the classified section for 7k also right now.

That said you don’t need a bike of that level to win races though. I’m fat so I use my bike to level the playing field lol.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Bahhahahhaha.
    Dude you are not alone on this problem.
    Lol.
    But what id like is for you and your buddies to tell others that V7 bikes are out there and at a decent price and here is the best part.
    They are not in your class so no butt hurt when you beat them on track if they in your class. Lol
    But it helps keep things fun at track for all.
    And again id be happy to help anyone with what it takes to keep them running and reliable.
    Spread the word for the off season.

Steven

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but that wasn't a Vintage only thing this weekend, a lot of the modern guys pussed out due to the forecast too.

18. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

If I wasn’t building a house right now I’d be at every weekend going slow as shit. Eboz and Ray beat me like a drum, but I have had a great time with them every time I’ve made it out. I think vintage (at least V7 and V8) doesn’t really have any more issues than any of the more modern classes, just everyone who wants to ride in these classes tends to have more responsibilities in their daily lives just because we are older! Just the nature of the beast. I’m trying to make Road A and Barber before the end of the year, hopefully next year will be less hectic. Living with the inlaws right now so I’m DYING to get out there!

britx303, Kyle Brosius and VFR#52 like this.
  19. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

I can only speculate, as I haven't raced since 2011.
    Racing is expensive, people are using more discretion as to how they spend their time and money.
    My best guess is that most racers will cherry pick a couple-three events to go to based on the status of each individual event. If I were to go to 3 events in one season, for example, I may choose Mid-Ohio (WERA), NJ (AHRMA) and Mosport (VRRA). These are all big Vintage weekends. I have no interest in chasing championships anymore, AHRMA, WERA or otherwise.
    Unfortunately, this may suggest that WERA look to replicate the big vintage event of Mid-O at other, selective venues. Fewer vintage races, but more status? Am I off the wall? I don't know if this is even possible. It would certainly require promotion and a re-think of the program.

As far as classes, I don't think the rules will affect rider turnout. WERA offers entry-level novice-type classes (CB350 Superstock in GP350, for example), as well as an excellent spread from old to new.

Just my thoughts,
    Stan

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wish we could replicate Mid-Ohio but that's not possible, we're not set up to do all the dirt racing and swap meet and all that. Would love to do it but also not sure there needs to be competition with the big events AHRMA is a part of, vintage racing is small enough dilution is bad for everyone.