1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened..

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by RZ Racer, Jul 18, 2018.

1. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

..... to all of the people that responded to the thread about rule changes for vintage racing in 2018????? Last time I checked, there were 30+ pages on that thread full of ideas and suggestions. Mongo listened and gave us nearly everything we asked for, yet, no one is showing up. I've participated in 9 rounds of wera races this year so far and have yet to see more than 4 bikes in any class (not counting mid Ohio) EVER!! If you had a suggestion on the thread about the future of vintage racing, then YOU SHOULD BE OUT THERE!! Ron Raven is handing out CASH MONEY and only 3 people show up to collect any?!?!? Sad days indeed....

VIR is in 2 weeks and hasn't had any vintage races since 2011. Now is your chance to show that you really care about the future of vintage racing. Start making plans!

Dyle, j cal, Kyle Brosius and 2 others like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, this Roebling is normally a lighter turnout. Time of year and it's hot as hell and it's close to VMD and a number of AHRMA rounds.

3. RZ Racer

I hear ya Sean, I really was talking about this season in general, not just rrr. Barber was a ghost town, road a had very few participants....the list goes on. There were literally 50+ people expressing opinions on the thread over the winter about what THEY needed you to do to make things fair. You've complied with at least 90% of those things with the rules/class package this year, yet no one is showing up. If someone uses their voice to effect change and the change actually occurs, the least they can do is show up! Kudos to Eric, Mitch, Boz, David, Jack, Keith, Jerry, Dick and Mark for for outing their money where their mouth is and carrying the vintage flag so far this season. Will anyone else step up to the plate?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't disagree overall. The decline has been disappointing for a long time.

5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well i made suggestions but no one wants to change anything.
    Shop and finances have kept me away but if all Goes i will be at Tally.
    But ive been watching results in V7 and been hardly no one even gridded up.
    Shame.

Steven

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeah,that sucks. Ive been trying to get the few guys I started out in V7 with,back on some V7 bikes. I was even going to get them all the parts,or most of what they need to build the bikes,and do all the storing and hauling.Its been a hard sell trying to convince them but ultimately getting the "no thanks".......:(

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Bueller.......Bueller

Killswitch likes this.
  8. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Mark, I agree with your comments. I had pre-entered Barber, but some continuing unfortunate family issues got in the way however. Fully intend to be at Tally in August. Kudos to WERA as my refund was received promptly the following week. First class! Also, a big thanks to Ron Raven for the ongoing support. Let's line up, boys.

9. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I would like to try and make Tally, but it will depend on how my budget looks. Unfortunately since my class V1 took a big hit by having to race up to V3, it has not been a priority (due to budget reasons) to make WERA rounds. But, now that I am having a blast with the SV. I need to come race WERA some more.

Thomas350 likes this.
  10. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Hey Mongo. So my 13 year old boy had a cmra license in 2016. And he has been riding but not racing . So my question is will you let him get a wera license without retaking the school?

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I hope to retire in 2 years, so maybe I can be more action and less talk.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No problem as he's been keeping up track experience.

13. jim weaver

jim weaver Well-Known Member

with the price of every thing ,gas, parts, travel expense its hard to justify. i want to get back to race but just cant afford to. got an 18 year old vetranarian student, and even southern lllinois university is very expensive. still trying to finish my 750 honda though.

14. tz779

tz779 Member

i raced with a vintage group in NE USA, at Louden, NH. Team Obsolete was big then, with Rob Iannuchhi complaining Todd Henning was winning against TO's cultured stable of MVs, Matchless, etc., with Todd's "junkyard" Honda 450. Was this a race of wallets? While there was no class for my '79 Tz250 to fit into ("you can enter MW Supervintage if you don't win"), club "insiders" created a class for modern RS125s bc they got together and bought some and decided to add a class for them in a (their) vintage" race organization. I went to CCS to race. And they wondered why i left....

15. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Yep, this is me too. I have the bike ready and planned on Tally only to have my job schedule add Friday nights to my work week. I can’t work until Saturday morning and be in any kind of condition to race. Work sucks the fun out of my life.

16. RZ Racer

Sadly, we will not be at tgpr this weekend. I just can't justify driving 9 hours to go to a race where I race against myself. At vir 2 weeks ago, I was the only bike in my class for both v5 and V6lw. I didn't even bother signing up for v3 but if I had, Rich Oldakowski was there so at least I would have had another bike on my row! Lol. Luckily, I opted to run Clubman instead and had 5 other racers to race against. Kayla and Blake ran away, running several seconds a lap faster than me, but I was able to overcome a first lap t1 blunder and eventually claw my way up to finish 3rd. Best (and only!) racing of the day for me. Sad too, because I had over a dozen friends and family there spectating and I had to explain why I was the only one in my class in the other two races. emberassing really.

Hope y'all have fun at tgpr and road a. I'd consider going to road a bc there are usually at least 2 or 3 bikes on the grid there, but it's running same weekend as AHRMA tgpr and I'm in a tight points battle in all 3 of my classes over there. Hopefully we will be able to make it to the gnf.

418, No Brakes and VFR#52 like this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Ok.
    So who has a plan to turn the vintage grid count around?
    Why are there no new vintage riders buying bikes and showing up?
    Does anyone have a reason why?

Steven

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Millenials are afraid of getting their hands dirty and even more afraid of carburetors.............just a guess.

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So I get WERA vintage grids are small and are getting smaller each year? My question is AHRMA road racing growing? How big are their grids? How much compared to last year? If the grids are decent size then WERA should be able to find a way to lure those guys to their races.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. Frank Cotton

Frank Cotton New Member

So hows the racing going at talladega today? Do you think thye are goingto race tomorrow?