1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What gives and when?

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Dec 13, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

My '08 ZX-6R with 2 years riding experience was like $2200 for the year, 10 years ago

Sent from my smatrfone

track wagon likes this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Holy FUCK!!! Just for grins I went to Geico's website and got a quote, but changed my DOB from 1978 to 1998. This is for a 2017 GSX-R1000

Geico Quote.jpg

TurboBlew, Rebel635, thrak410 and 2 others like this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Ah; the advantages of having a small displacement vintage bike.

While in college in the early 80's, I stopped riding (two street accidents, both not your fault, will do that to you). I started back up in 1993. Bought a 1974 RD350 from Billy Eisenacher for (I think) $6-700.00.

A friend suggested I call his agent for bike insurance, Mary Hardiman in Mabelton. I think my six month premium for liability only was $25. Or 0.43% of the quote in ryoung57's post.

4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Sportbike insurance is ludicrous. My 2015 S1000RR was $1700/yr full coverage. The 2013 Street Triple R that replaced it was $340/yr with same coverage. Now my 2017 FZ-09 is $550/yr for the same coverage.

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I bought my R6 back in 2003 at the age of 23. I can't remember what it cost me to get insurance......I wanna say about $75-80/month. However, I think I was getting my medical coverage through my work, so that almost assuredly had a factor.

Haven't ridden on the street since 2008-ish, but had no idea those kind of rates were even possible.

6. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Holy crap!

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

When I was a Suzuki dealer, up to 2010, we saw many times where a young guy looking at a gixxer would have a bigger insurance payment than the loan on the bike. Did not help with sales. :mad:

It still works. :crackup::crackup:

8. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

RRW has a cover story out this month that Kawi has a zx6r for less than $10k for the first time in recent memory. I was really surprised by that. (Looks like the dollar has recovered against the yen since 2009; might have something to do with it.)

Unfortunately, if millennials aren't buying cars, I doubt they'll be buying bikes.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Anyone know a rich VC guy? Lets start a sportbike version of zipcar and get these millennials on 2 wheels.

We can call it donorcycles...

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

IMHO, it means that at least one manufacturer knows that they have to do SOMETHING to entice the supersport market seeing as no manufacturer has made truly significant updates to their bikes in the last decade.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They could give them away for free and it wouldn’t make a difference when insurance is $500-$1000 per month.

12. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^^this^^^^

Costs associated with new motorcycle purchases have slowly and effectively put a damper on the new purchase market .
    Also, aside from out of hand insurance rates, why would I want to purchase a bike that I need to take to a dealer for any diagnostic issues that may arise?
    Add up these associated costs and it is not difficult to understand why the Moto market is upside down...

13. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Just get a bike no one really rides and insurance will be cheap. My 2012 tuono was 400 for the year while my zx10 is 1400 for the year. The Tuono is worth as much as my zx10 in wheels, exhuast and suspension. Also had the 5000 aftermarket coverage. It's all about numbers. How many have been stolen and crashed. The more common of the bike IE new 1000's crash alot and get stolen alot.

BigBird likes this.
  14. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Draik is 18 and his liability only insurance for his 10 yr old 250 supermoto is about $13/mo. Just have to pick the right machine to be able to afford it... he got one to save on gas.

He gets a discount for having his endorsement (even though it took him more than once to pass the test :crackup:)

SundaySocial and 5axis like this.
  15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I get that there are ways to ride a motorcycle cheaply, but in how it relates to the the continuation of the industry, sport bikes, and racing in the US, this shit has gotten out of hand. People ask why kids aren’t interested in bikes and this is why. I know lots of people my age and older that had sport bikes as affordable transportation when they were young. Now they’re almost solely toys for the wealthy.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Snowflakes are uncoordinated

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  17. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Have you tried to text and ride? It's a real PIA!

ex419, BigBird, drop and 1 other person like this.
  18. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Back in 2012 I had a Ducati 999s at the age of 22 and full coverage for me was only 600 a year with a 500 deductible.... idk where you guys are getting those numbers.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It was a twin (they’re usually cheaper) and it was what, at least 5 or six years old at the time?

20. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Yeah but it’s not like it was cheap to fix if something happened lol