1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you want to accomplish?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Apr 24, 2017.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'll be 62 this year and I'm planning on retiring sometime around my 64th birthday. I've saved enough to have an independent source of income in retirement, which should allow me to be comfortable in that I'll have the necessities - stable shelter, adequate food, and appropriate health care covered. Not bad for someone with severe financial and health issues in the late 1980's. I never thought I'd live to see 1990.

I've been fortunate to have already toured on two wheels through 48 states and across the lower tier of Canadian provinces, including Newfoundland, using 2-week vacations over more than 20 years. I wouldn't mind doing it again, maybe visiting every US and Canadian National Park along the way. There are lots of places I missed on those trips due to time constraints.

I still would like to ride to/from Alaska on two wheels.
    I would like to do more motorcycle touring/camping, perhaps establishing a base camp and then hiking for a few days from a spot.
    There are tracks I'd like to ride here in the US that I haven't been to yet.
    I'd like to do more writing.

I've been thinking about what I want to do in retirement for a while now, still organizing my thoughts. Right now it seems like the first 2-3 years will be travel as well as gradual downsizing. Then, if my health is holding up, living independently until my early to mid 70's then planning for the inevitable and putting the necessary housing and care arrangements in place. No one in my family has ever lived to age 90, so I'm not planning on seeing the year 2055 or anything close to it.

Still making the list of things to do, accomplishments I'd like to complete, etc. Recognizing that life has a component that is planned, but also that you have to take opportunities as they present themselves. (i.e. seat of the pants living).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    BigBird, Metalhead and jrsamples like this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Stupid fucking dust in my office.........

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Me too! I want to check out in a few years and just disappear into the Caribbean. It's getting closer.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I wouldn't mind getting this thing finished... 14931542407012.jpg 14931541767290.jpg

BigBird and Lawn Dart like this.
  5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I travel a lot but don't dig it like my wife does. I'm done racing, and won't ever ride a bike again, so all of that is out. About the only thing I can think of I'd like to do is kill animals I haven't already. A moose, an elk, maybe a few African plains game. I don't really have a bucket list of anything.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Hunting wild boar with a handgun?

7. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Fixed.

Got a buddy who works for FWC down here (fish and game). He actually does this shit. :eek:

renegade17 likes this.
  8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Unloading an AR into a big group is more fun. We have so many hogs in AL that I've killed one with about every rifle,pistol, and the one knife I have. We've driven in the back of pick up trucks in fields with 12 gauges chasing them around like a group of bad guys in the ME. I got four with my m1 garand. That was pretty brutal

9. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

The are damn thick around here. The only one I've shot was with a Socom M1A. That worked...

The knives and pistols coupled with black mouth curs or catahoulas is pretty common around here and looks like good fun.

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Solid.
    Im not much on NP's these days...just too many people. Your tastes seem a lot like mine except ive given up the "miles" priority of making it from point A to B. Saturation bombing is what I do now, but in places where the heards have forgotten. The ride and hike thing is where its at for me. Just cant seem to get enough. IF IF IF... I can get my hypermotard up the hard parts at the bottom, Im going to do this thing this year and camp out up there somewhere.

About saturation...... The UTBDR rides right by comb ridge in UT. True, it is a RIDE route, not a ride/hike. But, damn you ride right by this awesome stuff....
    [​IMG]
    Anasazi ruins
    [​IMG]

As for the things id like to accomplish......
    see my kids off into the world as thinking, grounded, and solid human beings.
    never be a burden to anyone.
    teach rpt to as many young men as i can.
    get back into roadracing.
    see if my kids take an interest in adv riding.
    die in the desert.

Wingnut likes this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Simultaneous orgasm...with myself.

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

climbed Everest?

been to the moon?

two chicks at the same time?

come on...there is always something new to do or try and one can't possibly do it all in a lifetime!

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

pffft

Asia is easily the best continent

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I've killed a couple with cur dogs and a knife in Florida. It was so fun! I wore my GoPro. I've stopped showing the video. It doesn't go over well.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Going to space is on my list, for sure... the others, uhhhhh, welllllll, never mind.

Yes, there is always something. I think we're talking about things that we actually WANT to do. I have a few remaining spots on earth that I would like to see, but beyond that, I believe I have nailed everything.

Oh wait....... I do want a V4 500cc ex-GP bike that I can track a few times, then put on display in my home. Hell, if I could win a trophy in a WERA race on it, then even better. :D

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Agreed. No shortage of amazing stuff in Asia :) I used to consider the south of France to be the best overall spot on the planet, but I have changed that to Japan. Or Thailand. Not sure.

17. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Dying in the desert! Kinda like the way I would want to go as well. Hopefully an old man but still physically able to hike a few miles in on a secluded trail. If I started my hike in with the sunrise and then as the setting sun was coloring the sky into dusk I'd lay down near a small tree and just close eyes. With a note and a picture of my family in my pocket. Die with your (hiking) boots on.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'd like to stand next to Bernadette Peters.

19. I want to wreck a brand-new Ferrari into a tire wall, and not care.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Have you done it?