1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you want? More Ethanol! When do you want it? Cruz...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Jan 27, 2016.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Where are Bernie and Billary on this one?

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The difference is he would ALLOW that to happen if the MARKET demands it. If that market says go take your E25 and sell it somewhere else, then it won't get sold and it won't get produced. Get rid of the mandates and get rid of the price supports. Let the Ethanol stand on it's own two feet (I am betting that it won't, at least not for a while).

The only reasons they are talking about going to E15 is because they can't meet the existing ethanol mandates of how much ethanol we have to burn using E10. Get rid of the mandate and price supports and no one would be talking about E15.

That story is how he is selling his plan in Iowa. "You could make and sell E25!", but in reality there would be little market for that product at least initially.

badmoon692008 and kangasj like this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Without mandates and price supports, the industry would collapse overnight.
    There is no real market for that much ethanol.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. Subsidize the farmers even more, raise food prices and give us shittier fuel. Good job Ted...

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you want the endorsement and the $$$ that comes with it you'd better kiss up to big agriculture. Corn gas is big bucks and if you increase the percentage of the shit in it, the more money they make.

Who cares if your mileage and your car suffers?

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

.....and I'm sure he's being lobbied handsomely by the corn growers too.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Government Motors.

They get to sell more new cars when the 91 octane booze gas turns to sludge and kills your $800 fuel pump

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its for the small engines!! :D

10. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

the average person doesn't know, or give a shit about ethanol content. They'll pick whatever's cheapest. people will do anything to save 5 cents.

Fuck ethanol

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

Speaking of which, who ever thought it was a good idea to put the pump in the tank?
    Maybe the old pumps didn't last as long, but you could replace them cheaply and easily.

crashman likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

I would bet that ethanol is actually keeping the cost of gas higher than it should be right now.
    Oil is ridiculously cheap.

edit: I forgot to add that the whole industry is now unnecessary even from the foolish standpoint of its creators, which was that we needed to stop relying on ME oil.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  13. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

sure but as soon as oil is expensive enough for ethanol to make it a little cheaper, it'll be the main arguing point.

In reality price should have nothing to do with it, just as ethanol should have nothing to do with automotive fuel

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If it is in the tank and cooled by the fuel they can use a smaller cheaper pump and still charge a zillion dollars to change them.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This^^^

Keep your tank half full and you'll never blow up a pump

16. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Does anyone talk about how the mandate for corn based fuel additives has forced the cost of beef and other meats up? The only people winning here are corn growers, their lobbyists and the politicians who are taking the lobbying $$. Everyone else is getting the short end.

Got to love free market capitalism when the government takes the free out of if by sticking their hands into it and forcing their will on the consumers.

17. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Take the bathed pump out and install an inline electric pump. Did two of them this summer on a dump truck and a snow cat. Cost of the inline pump is about 1/2 the cost of the in tank pump.
    Just need to make sure the flow rate is close enough to the original pump.

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Plus build an elaborate shield to protect that electric pump from highway heat which will kill it within months, or weeks. :eek:

19. Redrodent1

Redrodent1 Well-Known Member

Gas is so low I think we've reached the point where state and federal taxes are as high as the fuel cost.

100% tax rate. Damned profiteers!

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)