1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys use to sharpen your knives??

Discussion in 'General' started by zook131, Nov 28, 2020.

1. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking at getting a wicked edge system for my EDC and kitchen knives since a kid I work with is a dealer.

They seem to work well based on the videos I’ve watched and appear to have less room for error than a whetstone.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Same whetstone as all my chisels. And I never do the ultrafine/2000+ polish edge that far too many in my trade love to do. In my professional opinion, you lose the micro-serration that aids in slicing right through whatever is in my path, and it doesnt hold the edge as long when its too fine.

Bloodhound and joec like this.
  4. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

I think a whetstone is probably the best way, but not really an option that I want to pursue. Anyone use an electric sharpener?

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I used a spyderco tri sharpener for a few years for my kitchen knives and had some success. It's an easy system to use and great for quick sharpens, but I found that the results weren't as consistent as I'd like. It's been relegated to the garage.

I've been using japanese whetstones for about a year now for my kitchen knives and, while it isn't the fastest method (it takes me ~15min per knife right now, but I'm still very much a noob), the results are the best by far. I think it's also important to know that whetstones do require some technique and the learning curve is shallow. I've been using them over a year now and I'm only now feeling competent. Head over to knifeplanet.net and check out his knife sharpening school videos. The technique isn't hard, but it does take some muscle memory to get good. The most important lesson he teaches is that you can't ruin your knife with whetstones. That alone gave me more confidence.

I did a lot of research into the work sharp knife sharpener and the big take away was that if you weren't careful the machine could get away from you and you'd quickly take off too much material and ruin your knife. But prior to sharpening my own knives, I took them to a professional shop and they used a mini belt sander there so YMMV.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

Yep!
    I sharpen my kitchen knives on a piece of 800 wet paper on my table saw surface. I'll occasionally finish off shop knives with an mdf wheel or cotton with some extra fine though. I took tool sharpening at bennet st 25 years ago.. I use english steel all sorby. I never bought into the Japanese hipster trend. I'll regrind using my 6" bench grinder then hone using waterstones and wet dry. Good enough to shave with.

Fuck oil stones! Lol. I actually had to replace the steel on my little block plane a few months ago after 25 years of use.. It wouldn't stick out anymore.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What you have WILL work if the pitch matches your knife's.
    I use a stone (and have been reputed to occasionally use a belt sander). ;)

fastfreddie likes this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I have a Whustof set that came with a drag sharpener. I expected that it would be crap, but damn, it puts a great edge on those knives.

9. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

10. joec

joec brace yourself

Oh and hey.... We Have a local guy who is great for profile knives.. he did millwork for years too. So knows the setups. I honestly can't recommend him enough. If you're looking. www.mttoolco.com super fast and way cheap. I've even converted my new england peeps to use him.

11. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

You got to, man. It's a cult. Knife people are even stranger than BMW motorcycle riders. I bought somethign like this:

Amazon.com: Knife Sharpening Stone Set – 400/1000 and 3000/8000-Grit Professional, Safe Knife Sharpener Set – Whetstone Set Includes Flattening Stone, Bamboo Base, and 2 Nonslip Rubber Bases by KnifePlanet: Kitchen & Dining

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

old school Lansky sharpener for REALLY SHARPENING. just the handheld rapala cross sticks, for touch up, when needed. Ski

13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Sharpening rod that came with our kitchen knives for kitchen knives. Everything else goes on a worksharp field sharpener. Works great. Would love a bench sharpening setup but the field sharpener has worked so well, it’s hard to justify the cost.

14. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

15. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Been using Lanskys for about 30 years. A little slower, but you get a fantastic edge and the knife stays new looking.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Project Farm on youtube did a comparison between cheapest and most expensive knife sharpeners. From $9 to $900.

wetstone and Lansky came out on top.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Not a Sorby guy myself, however where Im at it was supplied to me already. Leaving private sect, I got to retire all my personal tools. I can get them to reorder anything I want though,but I dont bother. I hardly do that stuff anymore and do mostly po-po stuff.........its weird, but nice. And as for sharpening, it was part of my apprenticeship,and you HAD to get the edge right or the teacher would drop the chisel etc. straight onto the floor so you had to regrind it before stone honing. I had already learned to sharpen and burnish a hand scraper from my dad so never happened to me. Chapped that asshole teachers ass that he could never get me.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The bones of my enemies....

fastfreddie likes this.
  20. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I just put mine in a box and drop them off at the Kershaw factory

Sabre699 and Jedb like this.