1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you for riding/training with 6 months of winter?

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Oct 11, 2019.

1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

It's only October and we've been slammed with freezing temperatures and snow. Racing doesn't start around here until May. What do you do to stay sharp?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Move to a warmer climate.

MELK-MAN, TurboBlew and noles19 like this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Ice skate

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

When winter hits, I don't drink anymore until spring.

....I don't drink any less either

Kurlon, TX Joose and rd400racer like this.
  5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Eat more, struggle in the spring?

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ride dirtbikes on our home course and winter time hare scrambles

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

Fat bike groomed trails. Way too much work to go slow, but it helps.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Dirtbikes on the frozen lakes.

5axis, Mud Whistle and Kurlon like this.
  9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Travel and ride

DRye likes this.
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Ice hockey and ice riding / racing. And 12 oz curls

11. TX Joose

I have noticed my appetite for beer goes up as the temperature goes down. Also my motivation to go to the gym in the morning is directly proportionate to the temperature outside, so then I really start to fall out of shape.

I may have to look into that fat bike thing. I've never ridden one but they look cool. I'd just hate for it to collect dust like my MTB does. Unfortunately I don't own a dirtbike. But when I do ride them my ambition outweighs my talent by a large margin

12. Tristan

For a long time I'd plump up to 185 or so during winters then get down to 165 or so in the spring/early summer. The last couple years I've just maintained a steady 185. As long as I can squeeze into my leathers it's all good. The challenging part is finding a good selection of stouts and Barleywines during summer...fucking hipsters drive the market to churn out an endless array of IPA's.

13. cm1744

cm1744 Well-Known Member

For me, it really helps to have people to ride with. When it's in the single digits, misery loves company. Plus, lots of races in the region and if I'm going to be putting a number plate on it's good motivation to keep on top of the fitness.
    Tires and tire pressure along with snow conditions can make or break your experience out there. If they groom trails around you and there's a biking community, the trails likely stay in decent shape and you can really rip on hardpacked singletrack. If you're breaking trail solo all the time, not so fun.

14. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Come on out to SoCal. Racing in 2 weeks. Weather should be high-70s / low-80s.

The road bike is my only source of cardio these days, and I highly recommend it. Throw it on a trainer when the weather sucks, and go outside when conditions permit.

Used to do some YouTube HIIT workouts for 20-30 minutes, but having a toddler these days makes that a full contact endeavor as he tries to involve himself. But, super easy and accessible way to keep in shape!

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm guessing the TX in your name doesn't mean you live in Texas? Move back.

16. TX Joose

Where can I look to get more useful info? I'm in Denver so there's gotta be people that do it. Just have to find where they are..

I left about six years ago but I've been in Denver for a year. It's where all my folks are so I'll probably move back.. Eventually.. But DFW has turned into a shit show since I left so I'd have to find somewhere else to resettle.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Denver? Does it really get that cold? I'd think there'd be a massive MTB community. And you could always ski.

18. Tristan

My first thoughts too. Buy a season pass to Winter Park and ride the Ski Train !

19. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

In Denver the weather is variable and you will have "warm" days, to go riding dirtbikes at least. Bundle up and do it. In Alaska, where its cold all the time, there is downhill skiing--especially downhill racing, x country skiing, MTB, hockey, racquetball, just stay active. And get back on a dirt bike as early as you can.

20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

6 years ago is when I moved to DFW from metro Atlanta, to many Yankees and California people here. Haha

TX Joose likes this.