1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wet H/W twins-novice

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by WERA#137 BBS novice, Sep 2, 2000.

1. It`s raining,it`s been raining and it keeps raining.I`m to busy trying to stay dry to have pre-race nerves.I`m thinking to myself"don`t get excited,you`ve raced in the rain before"!(so what if it was a mock race).The rain delay allows me a lot of time to look over the bike.I`m surprised at how well the tires have held up.Two races and practice at T.G.P.R,one and-a-half hours at R.A. plus practice and four races with practice at Putnam Park.The left side of the rear looks allright,the right side is not as good.I check my grid position again,still outside row twelve.I came here hoping to get a few points,a few more might get me invited to the GNF.Finally the lightning lets up.I hear the start of the first race and get back into my leathers.After listening for a couple of laps I realize they are really on the gas.I go out to watch,the track is wet and they are going really well.Time passed quickly and soon I heard the second call for my race.On the sighting lap the bike was moving around on the wet track alot,especailly mid-corner.Finally the one minute board is up.Watching,waiting for green,GO!I get a great start,P2 out of T2.Wow!that went well!Now there are six laps to go.Now I`m thinking to myself again,be smooth and dont make any big mistakes.The TLR in front of me starts pulling away.After he put some distance on me I realized that I was watching him to much and not racing the track.About that same time I heard someone close behind me,it was not a thumper.I knew there was one or two 250`s in the race.I did not want to give up a spot so I picked up the pace,it was just enough.After the half way point my tires started to work better. I was able to carry more mid-corner speed and get good drives out of the corners.I put my head down and made a run at the TLR,he spotted me,picked up the pace and held me of for the finish.Congratulations for him and a best-so-far finish of P2 for me.At the awards presentation I thanked my wife for her support and my son for his help and I thanked the corner workers.Thanks again to the corner-workers,track officials,flagmen(persons),anouncers,paramedics and everyone else that works the weekend so we can race. Howard M.Fitzcharles IV WERA#137