1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA VIR 3/20-3/21 Race Report

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by Jeeepers23, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Jeeepers23

Jeeepers23 Well-Known Member

Great Weekend at VIR!

Anyway, here is my WERA VIR update:

Saturday 3/20:

Lightweight Solo Race #5:
    4th Place

Not even doing a track/race day this year, jumped right into a 16 Lap Solo Race. Definitely not in shape, but I held on and came in 4th place. My goal here was to gain practice and build stamina for my Sprints. After a decent start, I pulled into 4th position. Held 4th for a few laps, then pulled into 3rd. I was sure 3rd was in my sight, but roughly around the 11th or 12th lap, Jason Ulrich (#313) pulled ahead. I grabbed his wheel, but he definitely had more energy than I. I kept him in sight, but couldn't do it. Figured I'd keep my position than hurt myself 1st race. Overall, very happy with 4th in a 16th lap race. Whew! Mental Note: Need to get in shape.

Sunday 3/21:

Lightweight Supersport Race #4:
    4th Place

First, I've come to realize that if Chris Birdsong and Vadim Tsires are in the race, then 1st & 2nd are out of the question. Hats off to a couple of fast guys.
    That being said, my first Sprint race was great. 6 laps definitely felt much better after getting a 16 lap solo session in. Not the best start. Missed 2nd gear, red lined 3rd, but got it together by turn 1 and got into 4th position. I was close to 3rd, but it came down to the last lap and I had a desperate inside pass around a slower expert rider in the roller coaster section that had me doing a little dirt biking through one of the apexes. This gave Jeff (#190) the chance to go on the outside and pass us both. Tried sticking with him to the end, but he pulled a few bike lengths ahead and took 3rd spot.

Lightweight Superbike Race #7:
    2nd Place
    Best Lap: 1:44.927

I knew with Chris Birdsong not on the grid, that 2nd place was possible. I just had to keep Jason (#313) and Jeff Platt (#190) off my tail. Much better start and pulled into 1st around turn 1. Was the shortest time spent in 1st position as Vadim Tsires (#479) comes around the outside and takes the lead. Stayed in 2nd the remainder of the race and had my best lap time of 1:44.9. I'll take it.

Formula 2 Race #14:
    3rd Place

Now, this was a great race. By now, Jason Ulrich (#313) was out for blood. I had a good start and pulled behind Chris Birdsong (#628) and Vadim Tsires (#479) into turn 1. I was pumped to stick with them. Had them in my sights for 2 laps then off they go. Birdsong with a 1:39.9 on an SV650. Great Job! I was sure I had a gap so I tried keeping it, but sure enough here comes Jason Ulrich into turn 14 on the last lap. Sharp downhill right, he pulls on the inside. Sparks fly from his rear sets, he goes wide, but keeps it in. Then quickly shifts left and again, the fireworks go off from his rear sets. There was no way I was letting him take podium. Twist the throttle and down I go into the hog pen. Right on his rear wheel, I kept saying in my helmet, "Draft, Draft, Draft!" As I was inches off his rear tire I pulled around and sure enough I crossed the line ahead in 3rd. Very close racing and hats off to Jason Ulrich. Each lap that race he was faster and faster trying to close the gap I had from the begginning and his last 2 laps in the 1:44's showed he was determined. Nice work!

B Supersport (R6) Race #16:
    10th Place
    Best Lap: 1:44.849

I can't tell you how much of a difference the R6 is from the SV650. I was spent after racing in Race 16. I was debating not doing this race, but jumped back in and did it. Didn't expect much. This was my first time on the R6 since last year, so I definitely needed to get the cob webs out. Had a good start rolling around the 6th position into turn 1. Kept my place for a couple laps, but then each lap after I was passed by 1 person by being out broke in turn 1. Finished in 10th place (Surprisingly). I thought I was further back, but goes to show you to never give up.

Thanks for everyone in the pit and at the track for your help! Also want to thank Jason Ulrich (#313) and Jeff Platt (#190) for some great racing. Always a good time!

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Nice write up, congrats on your weekend.

3. Haas

Haas Lightweight

This was my second ever race weekend and my first with WERA. I had a fantastic time, and the last lap of race #14 on Sunday was both the fastest lap I've ever turned on VIR North, and the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle. Thanks for the great racing. I can't wait to do it again.

I didn't know you turned a :44 in race 7. Congratulations on that and on those very good finishes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Bunghole

Bunghole Well-Known Member

Congrats on the great weekend and second in SB, I had a blast racing you guys. I got lucky I was close when you did the dirt tracking in the esses that I was able to make a move and get around to hold onto 3rd place. All I could think was out brake both of you into T7. Not sure who that stunter was doing the endo beside me at the top of the carousel but that was crazy. One minute I'm thinking how am I going to get around this guy to, damn that is a hell of an endo lol.
    Can't wait for next time!
    Jeff

5. Jeeepers23

Yeah! That was a crazy endo. That would be the skills of #927. I would have definitely t-boned the guy, but that endo was amazing. AND he kept it up when he went off track and passed 4 others.

Great Racing! Hope to see you at Summit in April.

6. GoodKnight

GoodKnight Well-Known Member

Yeah that endo was me. Sorry about that!

I had one of the worst weekends I've ever had at a race track. Pretty bummed about it. Hopefully next round goes better.

7. Bunghole

I wouldn't be bummed, you left the track in one piece and I think we all had a blast. We'll get to do it again SOON I hope, I wouldn't worry about the endo. That Just helped me put my head down and play catch-up. I dropped another second off my times doing that :).

8. GoodKnight

GoodKnight Well-Known Member

Ha! Glad i could help!

9. DakrAzdrVr

DakrAzdrVr Well-Known Member

Hey Wence, that's some good writing! Nice meeting you at Summit.
    Unfortunately, I won't have the pleasure of gracing your race reports any longer :( while you're still in Novice, anyway ;)

10. Jeeepers23

HA! Don't worry, I'll catch up soon. See you at the next event

11. Bunghole

are any of you guys going to be At CMP next month?