1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA questions for Roebling 2023

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Quick6RR, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of getting prepped to race WERA next season with my first round to be at Roebling Road. I just had a few general questions related to prep and the track. Any advice is appreciated.

- I ride a 2013 ZX6R and I see that I must safety wire the front axle pinch bolts and coolant drain. On this bike the pinch bolts are mostly flush with the fork where they thread in, is there any way to drill the bolts without having to buy new pre-drilled bolts?
    - The coolant drain is a tiny bolt and I fear I may damage it trying to put a hole through it, is there any alternative to drilling it? would silicone glue suffice?
    - I understand Roebling has power plugs you can buy to run warmers, is it frowned upon to run other devices through the outlets as well? I'm considering tent camping all weekend to save a few bucks and would need to run a grill, air pump, and a few other small things.
    - Is the track even open the Friday before the event for camping/power/showers?
    - Is it fine to leave the bike/open trailer at the track overnight if I end up grabbing a hotel or will someone snatch her?
    - Are there any good ways to secure my a bike to my utility trailer if I go the hotel route?
    - I plan to race in C Superstock and Superbike. Should I also sign up for B Superstock or would my 636 get fondled by the bigger bikes?

Thanks.

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

1. You can buy longer bolts and use a spacer to give yourself enough room to drill and wire. Honestly, the pre-drilled bolts are so much easier and cleaner. Expensive, yes. But after years of doing this, it's worth it.
    2. That bolt needs to be wired. You can go to a hardware store or McMaster Carr and order a few extra that have a bogger head but same body and thread pitch.
    3. You buy the power, they really don't care what you run from it so long as your not trying to pull too much and tripping the breaker. I word of advice though, call way before hand and reserve power spot. Showing up the day of and expecting available power is a bad idea.
    4. Yes. Camping is open the nights before as a re showers etc.
    5. Put your canopy up, stick your bike and gear under it and and anchor it down very well.
    6. Drop your bike and trailer at the track the night before. Setup your pit and then go to the hotel. Trying to show up early morning, find a pit spot and unload/unpack, get registered, etc.. It will be a shit show. Make life easier for you to focus on riding. Do as much as you can the night before.
    7. 95% of the bikes in the B classes are C class machinery. At this level, focus on as much track time as you can get. That's how you get faster.

FYI Roebling is very sandy and you cannot pit on paved surfaces. Either rent garage space or bring a sturdy mat to put under your bike. I would highly suggest renting garage space.

3. Quick6RR

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll plan to be at the track Friday evening to get my pit situated. Just ordered a bunch of predrilled bolts too. It's good to know I can leave my equipment at the track overnight and relax in a hotel.. I imagine they lock the gates during the evening to keep everything secure? or should I also take extra security measures (lock/chain)? I just have an open utility trailer.

4. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

I've never worried about leaving my pit setup overnight at Roebling (or at any WERA event, really). Maybe I'm naive or maybe just too slow but I don't think anyone is going to steal my stuff or mess with my bikes. I've seen people chain their stuff up or lock it in the trailer but I would say the majority leave their bikes out under a canopy.

I believe Roebling has 24 hour gate access but you do have to show a wristband to get through the gate.

Also, when it gets closer to the race, PM me if you want some people to pit with or need some help. We've got a pretty good pit group and will always welcome more.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Roebling is pretty safe. Lots of people watching out for eachother.

Quick6RR likes this.
  6. Quick6RR

That sounds good thanks, I'll absolutely take you up on that. What classes do you race in?

7. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Should be C and maybe some B. I'm also on a 600.

Quick6RR likes this.
  8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

+1
    A cheap piece of outdoor carpet is relatively easy to pack and makes life so much better to put your bike on there.

Quick6RR likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Chain/cable and lock all your stuff together (bike and trailer and ramps or whatever). Yes our paddock is way safer than a hotel lot but there are always bad or stupid people out there.

Quick6RR likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Also, if you befriend a group, like you were invited to above, someone maybe sleeping at the track and can keep an eye on it. I have taken other people's bikes and put them in our pit or in the trailer, when they left.

RichMangus and Quick6RR like this.
  11. Quick6RR

Late update but thanks for all the advice, everyone's information was spot on!

Got in the Friday night before and setup our pit area. The paddock was already packed but we got a decent spot close to tech. Slept at a hotel and showed up the next morning to race all weekend. I was pitted next to an old pro who basically gave me the Mr. Miyagi treatment and answered more of the questions I had. Ended up grabbing a podium for my last race. The entire weekend was a rush and I can't wait to get back out there.