1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA MotoGP Fantasy League 2020

Discussion in 'General' started by dsapsis, Jan 28, 2020.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Hi Folks;

We are steaming through winter and the 2020 season is just around the corner, with round 1 at Qatar coming up on March 8 -- a scant 6 weeks out. I will be sending out emails to last year's participants separately, but I do want to put out a call here for new members, and in particular, software coders who might be able to automate the game instead to replace last year's polling to spreadsheet model. Note: BigBird (who handled the back end of the data processing) has opted to not play this year, so I need to find some help with data processing. This is, of course, unless motogp.com stands the game back up on their site.

So...players and dev folks, looking forward to the new season. We also need to talk about a potential change to payouts (last year a modest win for each race was suggested for those that had basically eliminated themselves from the season championship) or other features.
    --dave

2. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

I am still in. I support a weekly payout in combination with the championship payout. A few bucks a week would make sure everyone has a vested interest till the end.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  3. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I have a system I started last year that I plan on having finished before the start of the season.

Would anyone have an interest in incorporating WSBK or Motoamerica into the contest? I have some ideas for a hybrid contest I've been kicking around. I can leave a separate version that is MotoGP only that would mimic last year's rules with whatever changes everyone agrees to this year.

I'm thinking we could use the Qatar test on Feb 22 as a test for the game as well to maker sure kinks are worked out.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

IN for the WIN

we should bombard Motogp.com's email with requests for bringing the league back.

5. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

Im in again

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

oh and BTW

i didn't get the email

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I got it six times.

sbk1198 and Phl218 like this.
  8. dsapsis

I think Phl meant from me. Not sent yet.

9. dsapsis

Ok, I sent an email reminder to all of last year's players reminding them to check this thread and discuss interest and any possible game changes the group would like to consider.
    Also, we need to develop a new backend that hopefully doesn't rely on the aftermarket survey process for inputting picks, and jksoft has been working on that. We will work up some tests to make sure its operational come Qatar.

As far as changes, it seems the one suggestion with a large contingent (imagine that) was for a small bet for each race weekend, entirely independent of the season championship main game. Its obvious how to score that, the high score for that race would receive some portion of the money pot, and ties would share that. So...

1) what fraction of the total pot should we allocate to these individual races, recognizing that there are 20 races this year?
    2) Do we leave the buy in at $50?

Obviously the take homes are all affected by the number of players, but let's use 20 players as a guideline to get some context.
    If we were to allocate 10% of the kitty to individual races, that would mean that there is $100 in this pool, to be spread over the 20 races, so the winner would net 5 bucks. You can use that to consider higher percentage allocations. Alternatively, think of adding some marginal money on top of the current $50 buy-in to cover this new game component. For instance, if we were to make the buy-in $70, and leave the original $50 for the main game, we would have a race-win kitty of 20x20 = $400, so each race winner would net $20.

Ideas welcome. Good luck everyone.
    --dave

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

I am fine with either.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I'd like to get in on this.

12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the email. I hadn't seen this thread until I got that email. I'll play again this year. Personally I'd prefer to keep the buy-in at $50, but I'm open to hear some ideas as well.

13. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

i'll go with whatever, but I prefer the long game of $50 in for the 'ship and do away with the idea of weekly winnings, but if the majority want it, thats cool

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I for one like the idea of a weekly pot as well as the season. I like the idea of making it optional as well, but I would keep it where you are buying in for the weekly pot for the whole year. Nobody wants to manage figuring out who has bought in on a week to week basis. I'm good with the $70 proposal.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Leave the season long buy-in at 50 bucks and have another pot for those interested at 100 bucks for the weekly payouts.

jksoft likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm in again. I could go either way on the per round prize. What about keeping the yearly buy in for $50, and a separate $20 to the pot for the per round with a portion going to first place each round or something like that?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. dsapsis

Keep the opinions coming.

18. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Preference: bump the buy-in and add the weekly pots.

But, open to whatever, and in no matter what!

My wife (2nd place finisher last year*), is in as well.

* She reminds me semi-regularly.

19. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I want in this year. Could also do a $50 for season and a$1 bet per round as a small kitty for that round. Or maybe a qualifying bet and a race bet of a dollar each, each round. Email is [email protected]

20. Quicktoy

I want in this year. Could also do a $50 for season and a$1 bet per round as a small kitty for that round. Or maybe a qualifying bet and a race bet of a dollar each, each round. Email is [email protected]

21. Quicktoy