1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA Hivemind

Discussion in 'General' started by Schitzo42, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I'm looking for something that can be poured in and fill up the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of a wine bottle as a solid, won't add much additional weight to it (i.e. filling it up with Epoxy) and won't be broken down by a flammable fuel source.

Or .. a liquid that is heavier than tiki torch fuel that can fill up the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 or a wine bottle and allow the fuel to sit on top.

No, I am not making molotov cocktails.

kthxbai.

-steve

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

sand?

edit: Never mind, won't work with tikki fuel.

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Fill it with vermiculite and then top with a layer of fuel-safe epoxy? Something along the lines of POR 15 gas tank liner?

5. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

This is theoretical only...haven't tried it and don't know if it will work.
    Get a balloon (one that's round when inflated, not long). Uninflated, put most of it in the bottle, but, enough where you can still inflate it and tie it off. When inflated and tied off, use something soft to shove it to the bottom. Should create a pretty decent seal around the inside of the bottle. Pour some polymeric sand over the balloon and then add water. As it dries, the polymeric sand will harden.

6. ped

ped Banned

clearcoat

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

^ that works.... very well.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What are you doing with them that additional weight is a problem?

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

2 part pourable epoxies/resins would work but are pretty expensive for that volume- maybe sand or other cheap filler with an inch of resin on top?

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Careful here...don't get anything stuck in the bottle or an embarassing ER trip will follow. :D

11. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Wine Bottle Tiki Torch. Don't want to overly add weight to the thing if I can help it.

-steve

Attached Files:

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

fuel tank foam

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned it above but I'll provide a little more detail. Buy a can of blow foam from HD/Lowes ($6). A longer straw would make it easier but the one on there might be good enough if you're careful in discharging the foam in very small batches straight in so it drops straight to the bottom. I'd say a little golf ball sized gob might be enough to fill the bottom third of the wine bottom. Don't overdo it cuz it easily doubles or triples in size. Once you have it at about where you're happy, I'd get the cheapest epoxy you can get at your local marine store and ask them for filler. There are various types, I'd go with the cheapest, lightest that can be used at the highest ratio with the mixed epoxy. The filler will just about double the volume of the epoxy by itself and make it MUCH lighter than if it were straight epoxy. I'd pour that in to level off the top of the foam and fuel proof things. Regarding fuel proofing, I'm almost positive all epoxy is fuel safe or at least the marine grade stuff I've used (West Systems) is.

14. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I always used water. Just make sure that the wick does not drop past the oil and into the water.

15. ped

ped Banned

fiberglass resin would make a good epoxy. pour it over any filler materiel and it'll be chemical proof. A quart would prolly do 20 bottles.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  16. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

(the obligatory your wife something something p1nterest something something purse post)

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Great Stuff (expanding foam) topped with wax.

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the glass can handle the heat and/or drunken, falling over partiers? If the glass shatters you'll have a nice fire on your hands.....

19. 2 part urethane foam. Can use some sort of syringes to get same in each bottle. Attach some hose to the end to get it to the bottom with no mess.

20. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

You know you can get smaller bottles correct?

All of the above are more difficult than just making a better mount and filling with the oil.