1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird kill switch issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Scotty87, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Working on a friend’s kid’s Polaris 90 four wheeler (I need to learn to say no to things).

If he hits the bar mounted kill, it will not start again for approx 1-2 minutes. If he uses the center keyed switch, everything is good.

Any ideas before I start digging into the switch?

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Has it always done this, or is this new?

Things that can cause a time delay:
    Heating that causes open circuit (cooldown allows circuit restoration) (also includes corrosion)
    ECU programming?
    Tilt sensor?
    Loose connections (battery hot, ground; loose harness plugs; etc.)

Make sure all connections are clean and tight.
    Examine harness to make sure there is no exposed wires (insulation worn). Make sure it's not wet and no water/dampness in connectors.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It’s a ten year old’s four wheeler, it’s beat to shit. I’m fixing a bunch of other things at the same time, but the delay issue had me confused. I did not know corrosion could do that. I’m guessing the inside of the switch looks terrible, if the rest of the wheeler is any indication.

4. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Killing power with the key gives a weak battery a chance to "recover" a bit?.. maybe not likely, but have seen some -weird- things contributed to wonky batteries.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The electrical on those things can be a nightmare when they are well used. I've had too many of them thru the shop with electrical problems. Good luck.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

u sure the bar mounted kill switch isnt sticky and unsticking slowly? maybe try killing the engine with it, then disconnect it and try starting right away.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Who da fuq uses kill switches on a 4 wheeler? Pull that kid square to your face and tell his bitch ass to buy a dirtbike and grow up to be man. :D