1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wayne rides again

Discussion in 'General' started by vfrket, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You ever want to do a class and can get some riders just let me know.

2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’d drive to Atlanta or Birmingham just to watch that.

baconologist and 50Joe like this.
  3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Knowing we could have our own class may get some of the riders I know out of a track day and into a WERA event. Even if it's only at select events would be enough for us. Thank you.

ToofPic, Boman Forklift and dave3593 like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:flag::bow::bow::flag::rock:

5. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

Rode with a guy at a nesba day at road A back in 2013 who had something similar on a zx10. He ran pretty fast too. Was a super cool outfit he had.

I wonder what Wayne thought of the bikes available today. Would be interesting to hear being not many have skipped over 26 years of motorcycle development

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the video, wife and I got a little choked up. I was like..."but Joe was first!"

Did you guys ever get that landing gear to work? Would love to see some photos of that.

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I definitely wasn't first. David Hunt lives not all that for from Atlanta and has been doing track days for years. He has a ZX10 and an Aprilia V4. I think I've convinced him to give WERA racing a try versus track days. Aaron Lanningham out in Utah has been riding for years too. He has adapted something like 10 bikes over the years. There is also a handful of others scattered around the country. For a special event like Indy I could probably gather up 5 to 10 paraplegics to ride. If it is just demo laps at an easy pace we could invite some street guys too. That would pad the numbers.

Doug has made final adjustments on the landing gear and is supposed to deliver the bike back to me next weekend. I haven't seen it yet and the suspense is killin' me.

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

When I rode last May at Road Atlanta my experience was very similar to Wayne's. I can definitely say you need to relearn how to ride again because I used to use very little upper body to turn the bike and now it is all upper body. But I also learned I could use my chest against to gas tank to help lean the bike in some turns. Leading with your head helps too. All my handcycle riding has made my upper body very strong relative to my body size which definitely helped on the motorcycle. I wasn't fatigued at all at the end of the day and I've heard of other paras being exhausted after a few sessions.

ToofPic, L8RSK8R and Dragginass like this.
  9. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

That’s awesome

10. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Wayne Rainey has also been racing (very successfully) superkarts for a long time.

Quicktoy likes this.
  11. Quicktoy

King Kenny built his first for him. I think road racing world did an article on it if I remember right about 15 years ago.

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I believe it was actually Eddie Lawson, who had already been racing them for a bit.

motion and stk0308 like this.
  13. Quicktoy

Article was 15 years ago so could have been. Thought it was the king though.

14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Eddie got Wayne into karting and kinda pushed him to do it.

Quicktoy likes this.
  15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I had to do some Google reminding, but I found it. This discussion puts me in mind of Stewart Goddard. He raced some Aprilia Cup races as a paraplegic around about 1999.

Quicktoy likes this.
  16. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Awesome pic of Wayne at Suzuka!!!

Attached Files:

17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've made direct contact within MotoAmerica and the idea of us doing demo laps at Indy was very well received. Next, idea needs to be proposed directly with Wayne and the rest of management. I'm also trying to get Wayne to lead the demo laps.

motion, Knotcher, mpusch and 8 others like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool!

50Joe likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

50Joe likes this.
  20. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

50Joe likes this.