1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way OT. Old game software, new computer

Discussion in 'General' started by lee955i, Jan 5, 2008.

1. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

OK, i'd like to install an old game (circa 1997) on my new box running Vista. Once you hit install it comes up with "system doesn't support fullscreen mode"
    Ignore that and it jumps to a Dos screen to install. Go through that and it installs. Then the fullscreen error comes back and exit's. Question is, is there a way to run this game?
    Cheers, Lee S.

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

What is the game? What did it run on? (I'm assuming windows 95)

3. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

from the dos prompt maybe? Goto Run: type CMD then start it from there.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Vista sucks!!!!!!!:beer:

5. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Maybe you can try VMWARE and get a virtual machine for 95/98 somewhere, then you could run the app on that V.M.

6. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Game is Redneck Rampage ans after some research, no one has a Vista patch as of this time. Sucks:mad: :down: .
    Cheers, Lee S.

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Redneck Rampage was one of the last of the DOS 1st person shooters. By the time it came out most everyone still writing PC games was writing for DirectX. It's not likely to perform well under Vista. It's not even likely you can get it to run well under Windows XP.

I used to play it on a Windows 98 machine okay. It was a fun game.

8. KaTooM616

KaTooM616 Active Member

Look into a freeware called dosbox. If dosbox will run on Vista it may work for you.

If you like to game I would partitian my hard drive to dual boot XP and Vista. Dosbox will run under XP for sure.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:stupid:

problem is it runs sloooow as hell! I tried to play an old dos game and it was like 2 frames per second. Obviously, not playable.