1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way off the mark

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dieselboy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

because they can.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Every company?
    Wrong.

3. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Thanks for adding something useful to the discussion! :up:

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

At least his comment was factual. :up:

5. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

:D I was really just trying to express an idea, not be taken literally.

There are a lot of companies(is that better?) that require degrees (that really don't need to), so a degree isn't worthless b/c it makes you eligible for those jobs.

6. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

UGA was ~$2400 for a normal year's tuition in 1998. It's $10k now. So almost 400% increase in 13 years.... seems a bit steep to me.

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Fair statement there. As an HR professional, I readily admit I prefer to see that someone has the "piece of paper" versus those that don't, regardless of whether it's a bona fide requirement or not. The reality as I see it is that the college degree today is more equivalent to the high school diploma of old. The Masters of today holds the weight the bachelors of yesterday did.

I couldn't agree more that it's an insane jump. But on the flip side ... I'm still betting that overall enrollment is up. It may not be a "right" to get a college degree, but I think it's more and more becoming a requirement, somewhat tying the hands of the students. Heck, I'm already the top guy in HR at my company, but I'm still leaning towards going back for my MBA just so I can continue to have a leg up on the competition should I ever need/decide to move.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  8. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Yep, and every fucking job you just mentioned created a public sector union member and expansion of government:(

9. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

With huge availability of funding for students, why not? Perfect example of Keynes' theory of supply creating demand and not the other way around.

Health insurance is another one.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Seems cheap...even by 1998 prices. Thats ~30 credit hours?

11. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Not every company does, including mine (lucky for me). As for those that do, a degree may save your resume from the circular file, but if you don't have the skills it's not going to help you beyond that.

12. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

A degree is a greens fee in modern terms. You gotta pay to play.

13. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

This has already happened. A Bachelors degree is the new highschool diploma, ask me how I know.

Having been to some American universities they are NOT hurting for money. Hell some of your football stadiums and hockey arena's make our pro sports facilities in Canada look cheap.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Grants are easily available these days. They're great for buying cells phones, going out to eat, bailing your deadbeat boyfriend out of jail. All kinds of things the modern student needs.

15. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

I was on the quarter system so that was for 3 qtr's or 45hrs/9 months I think it was. Now they got the semesters and that was for 9 months or 2 semesters I guess?

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They don't.