1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasteful spending

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Dieselboy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

They are currently just getting people used to seeing them. Once they get enough in circulation the paper dollar will go the way of the dodo bird. You probably have 2 more years of seeing paper dollars but they will slowly be phased out. At least thats what happened up north. Initial outrage, refusal to use, grudging acceptance and then there wasnt a choice....
    All that being said, it supposedly saves alot of $ over the life of the currency as paper dollars are always being replaced and coins are quite durable.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ins-for-bills-could-save-5-5-billion-gao-says

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hate getting those stupid 1 and 2 euro coins, they just end up in the bottom of my briefcase. The swiss franc adds a 5 franc coin and that really pisses me off. I get some and usually have $20 worth of shit coins by the end of a trip that end up in a coffee cup or thrown in an ashtray.

Mix in a $1 coin and I'll be in hell.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

OK, now THERE'S a goal!

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

For the past few years I've refused to carry a pocket of change and will throw it into a small drawer in my desk whenever I get home. It adds up and each year I take it all to the bank and cash it in for paper money. I suppose that if the dollar coin replaces the paper dollar I'll just be able to save up the change faster and to a larger amount. It's good screw off money.

Now, on the other hand, the frigging penny is a thorn in the side of humanity. Everyone should be able to take all the pennies that they can gather, march up to the mint, and cram all that copper up the mint's collective rear. :beer:

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Zinc.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only post-1982. Pre- and most of 1982's pennies were still majority copper.

Nickels contain more in base metal value than their face worth. :up:

7. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

This is just a conspiracy to get pussified Americans to start carrying man purses or "European shoulder bags".

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

F@ck Yeah! :D

9. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Send me all your pennies! Vengance will be mine!:crackup:

10. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

I don't like dollar coins. With dollar coins, you get vending machines that take dollar coins. Suddenly, all the prices for stuff in vending machines will start to creep up.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Most vending machines take paper money now, shouldn't have any impact on pricing. They can just phase them in like they did the paper money readers.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No worries when inflation hits due to all the printing of money dollars will be the new penny

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some of the vending machines started taking $5 bills and credit/ debit cards.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Here you are a numismatist when I thought you were a philatelist.

15. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

Does Heartland Park still have that three dollar coke machine? I thought it was 30 cents when I first saw it. And this was back in the 90s.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where are you finding vending machines selling anything for under a dollar now anyway?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Wouldn't theat be felatelist?

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Grocery store. They are usually $ .25 and Lawson usually gets a temp tattoo or some POS plastic toy that's worth about $ .02.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point but those aren't going up to a buck anyway.