1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

walking the track

Discussion in 'General' started by Razor Shines, May 15, 2003.

1. Razor Shines

Razor Shines eliminate the bush cartel

I'm just getting into racing. Did the Bargy School recently and doing a once over of the track really did add some perspective. It made enough of a difference for me to ask...

When can we do this? Is there time before or after the practice day that we can walk or jog the track and take a look around? Just wondering what the experienced racers here do about this and when they are allowed to do it.

Having a looksee was stressed during the class so I thought it was important enough to ask about it.

Thanks for your time.

2. northernyamaboy

northernyamaboy Yo Terrance! You're slow!

Razor,

I usually like to walk to track at the end of the day (dusk). During the first VIR event, I asked an offical and they said it was O.K. I guess after all the vents are done and everthing is cleaned up, ask an offical. That is what I do.

3. SR211

SR211 Well-Known Member

It varies from track to track. Tracks that you can't camp at like Putnam Park are tough, no time before or after the race day.

Tracks that allow camping are usually OK with walking the track after Friday practice or Saturdays racing. Either way you've usually already been on the track on your bike before you get to walk it. Memorizing the turns using a track diagram your first time there speeds up the learning process as you'll at least know which way the next turn goes.

You can learn alot about the track by getting some time in on it and then walking it Friday or Saturday at the end of the day though You'll have several new ideas to try out in practice the next morning. Unless it's Nelson Ledges, which you might be better off not seing that close:D

4. Kevin Crauswell

Kevin Crauswell Well-Known Member

Walking the track is great. I have always found something new, ie a new entrance/ exit to a cornner.
    I would say, if you cant walk the track, try and
    get intoa different cornner as a worker durring the race weekend and watch as to who does what where. There is always something new to learn. ( like spelling ) !:D

5. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

Last year I rode my bikecycle at VIR after the events were done. Most of the tracks that I've been, you are able to do this. It helps out a lot just to know where the track goes.

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Riding a bicycle is a very good idea because it gives you a better feel for the pavement surface (i.e bumps, camber, elevation) than walking does. :)