1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waco/San Antonio Sites

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Mar 9, 2020.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I have a conference in Dallas in autumn. My wife is joining me and after, we are going to drive down to San Antonio, stopping in Waco along the way.

She wants to see all the Chip and Joanna Gaines's places in Waco: the grain silos, the restaurants and the bakery. So we are thinking half a day here.

In San Antonio, I know about the Riverwalk (which is where we are staying) and the basement of the Alamo. We have three days here.

Anything else to see in either city?

K51000 and Blackbeener like this.
  2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Steers and queers

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Kinda like Cincy except Cincy doesn't have steers.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Don't forget to se PeeWee's bicycle.

DrA5 likes this.
  5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Plan on getting to the Gaine's bakery or restaurant early or else you'll be waiting in line with 50 other bored housewives. If you want to skip the lines I could recommend better bakeries and restaurants for you to check out.

The Texas Ranger museum is in Waco and is cool if you're a history buff.

There are a few micro brews in the city and a bunch of wineries in the area if drinking is your thing.

Whatever you do, don't get conned into going into the Dr. Pepper museum. The building is a block away from the silos and is nice to look at from the outside, but the "museum" is bullshit. They don't even give you a Dr. Pepper (or any other sample) after it. Fuck them.

A SpaceX test site is just outside Waco in McGregor. If you hear a low frequency rumble during the day, it's probably an engine test.

Austin is on the way to San Antonio from Waco. Lots to do there. Voodoo donuts is just off the 35 in Austin and is worth the short detour if you're looking for a snack.

DrA5 likes this.
  6. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

San Antonio:

Buckhorn Saloon
    Majestic Theater
    four more Missions other than the Alamo
    Spanish Gov's palace
    Japanese Tea Garden
    Hemisphere tower

Cooper's pit BBQ and Gruene Hall in New Braunfels
    Woman Hollering Creek sign towards Sequin

DrA5 likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Dude, you live with metalhead. I don't want to hear shit from you...:Poke:

cpettit likes this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

How can you tell the difference?

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

MH is in the upstate. I'm midlands. We have enough oxygen for full brain development at lower altitudes.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What’s constitutes enough oxygen and full brain development? Is there a national standard? :Poke:

cpettit likes this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You didn't meet it, sorry.

speedluvn likes this.
  12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Azuca is a great restraunt just south of the riverwalk. It's walkable.

Also, Schilo's Deli above the riverwalk is worth hitting up. They make the rootbeer in house and the deli has been there about 100 years.

The Pearl for some nice but expensive shopping and several restraunts there too.

DrA5 likes this.
  13. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Went to the Gaines tourist trap twice after motogp races,the big store at the bldg near the silos is full of Chinese made knick nacks and shit for home decor,shockingly didn't
    see Chip or Joanna either time.There is an In,n, out Burger nearby so I got to go there.;)I'm pretty sure the Gaines' were in the back room of their shop countin' all the loot.

OGs750 likes this.
  14. Hit up the Branch Davidean ranch :)

backbone and renegade17 like this.
  15. d_alexand

d_alexand Well-Known Member

For San Antonio your wife might like the market square, and Mi Tierra Cafe is really good.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Baylor can suck it.

San Antone Riverwalk

OGs750, tl1098 and DrA5 like this.
  17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

In the souf? Yeah right up there with their dental care standards.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Best deli I've ever been to. Momacita's Mexican restaurant is pretty good.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

WTF are a Chip and Joanna whoever?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

HGTV personalities. They lie to people about how cheap you can remodel a fixer upper.

DrA5 and G 97 like this.