1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting Florida Keys?

Discussion in 'General' started by gpz11, Jan 5, 2016.

1. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Any tips on visiting the Keys?

Thinking sometime in March and was wondering where to go, what to see and any reasonably priced places to stay?

Thanks

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

reasonable in March is gonna be tough. That's the heart of tourist season.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Not heavy tourist yet in March. I lived there for 3 years in the 80's. Went back two years ago and it's changed a lot. What are your interest?

4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

You going to Key West or traveling down through the keys from south Florida?

5. yamahogg500

yamahogg500 Well-Known Member

We stayed in Key largo. There was a lot of diving and scuba . there are some great fresh seafood restaurants and a few cool bars.
    the real action is in key West.

6. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

We're interested in seeing any of the historic sites there, maybe some type of boat / cruise trip even if it's just a lunch thing.

Do they have day trips out to Fort Jefferson in the dry tortugas? Isn't there also a fort at the bottom of Florida mainland?

7. rd400racer

Dry Tortuga's would be an excellent trip. I know the other fort you're speaking of and if I recall there wasn't much to it. This will come as
    a "duh" to most people...the only things to do in the Keys revolve around boating and drinking. One thing that has changed in a huge way is that
    you can't just go and rent a boat to take out. Now you have to have the certification of the boating school that Florida requires. You Florida
    guys, let me know if I'm wrong on this but I'm pretty sure that's the case now.

I was down there late Feb/early March two years ago. I found a room in Marathon (where I lived) for $100 a night with no reservation.
    What I wasn't ready for was the horrible traffic from Key Largo almost to Marathon. I used to be able to go from Marathon to Miami and
    make that run in 2 1/2 hours. It took me damn near 4 hours doing the reverse route two years ago.

The Key are cool. It's a place everyone should visit once in their life. But unless you boat, SCUBA or fish there really isn't much to do other than
    nestle up to a Tiki bar and drink yourself into oblivion while watching the sunset.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

plus 100... you have NASCAR with BikeWeek tourism.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You could rent a car and go Key deer hunting.

t11ravis likes this.
  10. t11ravis

You're such a nice guy in person... :D

11. t11ravis

+100 for Dry Tortugas.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Personally, I think you should take a three year old along - children make a trip better!

Hey Chuck.:D

14. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

The turtle rescue facility on Marathon is pretty interesting.

15. omatter34

Check out John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo if you are into snorkeling and want to take a charter out. Did it years ago and enjoyed it.

16. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I guess the biggest issue I see is finding a room under $250 a night

17. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Shoot, the wifey has to deal with me, that's like taking a 3 year old along!!

18. rd400racer

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

We stayed at the mermaid and alligator b&b and both loved it.

We flew to Miami and rented a convertible mustang for the drive down. Turned the car in and just rode bicycles the rest of the time we were there, since you can park them anywhere and ride with a beer in one hand.

Better than sex was a cool place to take your lady for a late night desert drink.

Call El Siboney an hour ahead of time to get their paella. It's delicious.

Next time we go, I plan to fly to st Pete then take the ferry from there to key west. It only takes 3-4 hours which is faster than driving.

20. omatter34

FYI. I believe the ferry is out of Sarasota. About an hour south of Saint Pete.

Correction. They now leave out of Fort Myers or Marco Island.

I have friends who have done that and it was highly recommended. Only problem is making sure it works with your schedule as the departure/return times are limited.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016