1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIR for Memphis

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA476, Mar 28, 2000.

1. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Just in talking with some people this past weekend at Savannah about going to Memphis. Surprising how many people weren't going to make the haul. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a large percentage of SE riders are located in the GA, SC and NC area's. I found a lot of people saying they would like to see VIR replace Memphis. I know for me VIR would be about 2 hours closer than Memphis. Of course there are some people that live in NE AL or Western TN area that wouldn't like that but I apply the 80/20 principle at times. I can't speak from personal knowledge but I've heard that Memphis is a little questionable at times from a safety standpoint, but that's just opinions expressed to me. Of course I know there is the avalability issue of VIR, cost etc.. and all the red tape issue. Just wondering though what people think?

2. fastiger

fastiger Well-Known Member

There is no direct route to Memphis from SC and from NC you waste a ton of time winding through the mountains. I will go out on a limb and say that VIR would be more highly attended by racers in North and south Carolina.

If I'm wrong let the slammings begin. [​IMG]

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

That is part of the reason we have only one Memphis this year. VIR would be a SE race except that we have so many of them already giving SE points that we didn't want to go overboard and have you guys at too many rounds.

4. Happytrack604

Happytrack604 Well-Known Member

Hi ya'll, I just did my first race at Roebling and did Bargy's school at Kershaw.
    VIR is 50 miles north of me and I wish we had more dates there. I really liked Roebling, it is kept neat as a German park.I hope they now have showers at Kershaw.
    VIR is being put together as a kind of sports car country club, but I think we can enjoy it. Team Happy looks forward to seeing you there.

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

Congrats! We will be trying to have more dates at VIR in 2001. We originally went for 3 or 4 but the track shot down a couple and others wouldn't work because of conflicts with traditional date nearby.

6. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

VIR I think would be a great swap for Memphis. I understand where your coming from Shawn on the number of events and points we have in the SE. But, hey maybe in 2001 we can get more dates at VIR and look at replacing Memphis with it for a SE race. Would still work out even then. VIR is absolutely beautiful and will have some really nice facilities. I got to go there a little over a year ago and I was impressed even then and there wasn't near the work completed there is now. I dare say it will challenge or surpass RA. Given any thought to the new track to open here in the next year or so in AL?

7. WERA

WERA Administrator

We are always interested in new tracks [​IMG]

As soon as they start scheduling we'll be asking for dates....