1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Cutters

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Sep 28, 2020.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I need to letter a bunch of dumpsters. Looking at a lettering co. online, it's gonna cost $200-$250 per can to do what I want.

My question is, should I buy a cutter and do it myself? Looks like $500-$1500 + materials. Anyone with experience with these non-commercial cutters? How hard are they to set up and is the software compatible with and idiot? I'd only need a couple different single color patterns.

Thanks!!

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Some rattle cans, stencils and tape would be waaay cheaper. I mean, c'mon, it's a dumpster.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Yep, my sign guy can do a magnetic stencil, however since everything will be new I figured I'd see how much it is to make them look nice.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's a dumpster, man. It might look nice but for how long?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Die cut stickers won't hold long on a dumpster outside. Paint would stay longer.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: I'd go with paint.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Bingo !!

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Some call them dumpsters. Others call them affordable housing. Have a little pride in your pad, man ;)

StaccatoFan, R1M370 and BC like this.
  9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I'd go for paint and stencils.

However for future reference, I have a Cricut explorer 2 air or something like that, works great for making die cut vinyl stickers. I can download logos and make my own stickers, etc.

multi color stuff is a pain but the printer will cut up to 12" wide and can do about 36" at a time if you have the longer cutting matt. You can get a pretty wide variety of colors to cut. I have been using Oracal 651 for most of my vinyl as it's their semi permanent vinyl. Printer is about $200 (check Walmart, at the time they had the best price on the unit) and I found a cheap local shop to get my vinyl, like $11 for a 15' roll or something.

BC likes this.
  10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I'd get a batch of stickers made.

Then at the 3 year mark sticker over the old stickers with a bigger sticker.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you want to go to screened on rectangular stock I bet the stix would be a lot cheaper than die cut.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I gotta do 50 cans on 3 sides. No way I'm paying $10K. Looking like my original magnetic stencil plan is the way to go. I thought about the vinyl because my sign guy suggested it.

I also don't think the printed would hold up as well as the die cut in the FL sun.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Have an art contest. Get people to paint them for nothing.
    Have them include your company info as part of the painting.
    You could be the company with the fancy-painted dumpsters.

dumpster 1.jpg sumpster 2.jpg dumpster 3.jpg An-artistically-designed-giant-dumpster.jpg

Sabre699 and AC1108 like this.
  14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That's a good idea but would be quite the undertaking.

15. jocko

jocko Well-Known Member

check out a Brother Scan-n-Cut. they are about $300 and supplies are cheap on Amazon. only restriction is the largest size you can make is 12" X 12". extremely easy to use. i use one to make #'s and decals for my bikes.