1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage racing at Road America with AHRMA

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by RZ Racer, Jun 11, 2014.

1. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

I hated missing Road Atlanta with all of my WERA family, but Road America is my favorite track I've ever been to and the last time I was there was in '98, so I decided to make the trek. Having a sister that lives in N Illinois (100 mins from the track) helps!

After spending a couple days at my sisters house, we arrived sat am at the track nice and early so I wouldn't be rushed for practice as I knew I would need every lap. First session out, I took my time getting up to speed, but was already passing some of the Thruxtons by the end of my 1st lap, so wasn't doing that bad. The last time I was here, there wasn't a chicane at the kink. Like all "safety chicanes", I preferred the original layout, but also realize how dangerous that corner used to be..... The second (right hand) part of the chicane was a PAIN and I basically struggled with it the entire weekend, only getting through there "right" a handful of times. Back in the pits, the bike seemed geared a little tall, but I also wasn't up to speed, so elected not to make any gearing changes.

2nd practice was a disaster. Red flag on the out lap when a Thruxton tried to win practice. Back to the hot pit. Go back out. Red flag AGAIN on the 1st lap.....yep, another Thruxton! :down: This time we're told the we're done, so I head back to my pit. After everyone finished their 2nd round of practice, they did let us back out for a 3rd attempt and this time, I was able to stay out the full time without any red flags, but it was only 2 full laps, so I didn't learn much.

F-500
    There were 4 bikes listed on the grid, but I only saw 3 when I came to my spot. For some reason, they gridded us at the back of the other 3 classes, which was strange because 2 of the other classes were "lower" performance than F500 and we were sure to beat all of them into t1. Ed Bargy's flagging is VERY reminiscent of Charles Edgeworth, so I had no problem getting the initial jump on everybody. Unfortunately, the 4,4,4,4, gridding that AHRMA uses and the slower bikes in front of us led for a very tense run itno t1 with me having to chop my throttle 2 or 3 times to avoid bikes in front of me. Chris Spargo was gone immediately, but I did manage to out brake the other guy in F500 (Hunt...didn't catch his 1st name. looked like a tz350 that he was riding) going into t1. Coming out of t3 onto the back straight, the hp pecking order was quickly established as Chris was already out of sight and the Hunt came by with enough speed in hand that I was unable to stay in his draft. I tried to make up some of the hp deficit with some late braking and pushing hard in the infield, but not being familiar with a lot of my competitors (or the track!) had me riding a little more conservatively than usual and Mr Hunt was also completely gone by the end of the 1st lap. I had some entertaining battles with some of the sportsman 500 and premier 500 guys, but basically made a slow, steady progression backwards as the race went on, finishing 3rd out of 3 in class and probably somewhere in the last 3rd of the pack overall.
    f500 video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ByVi1U0rw0

Formula Vintage
    Even though the bike was definitely over geared for the 1st race, there was no time to make a gearing change, so I just mixed up some gas and headed to my grid. Only 2 classes in this one, but the other class was BOTT, which has some very fast modern twins, which I knew would be lapping me at some point in the race with a LOT of speed in hand!! I got a great start and lead the class for the 1st 50 ft, until David Crussel got the clutch engaged on his crazy fast Kawasaki gpz. I knew going in, that I would be racing for second if he was in the race, so no big deal. Half way to t1, another big Kawasaki (kz750 or 900 #4r C. Allaert) came streaking by and I almost made it back on the brakes going into t1, but decided to take it easy and look for another opportunity. (I remembered Allaerts bike from RRR in march and knew he had gobs of motor on me but was a lot more timid in the turns. At RRR, I had no problem getting around him both days, but I was worried about being able to do so here with the 3 long straights.) I didn't have to wait long as he braked very early for t3, allowing me back in front. He came streaking by on the back straight, along with a 916 duc, but I was able to get by the duc and get right on his back tire going into t5. A missed downshift through hurry downs saw me fall back and also let the duc back by, but I followed that up with a brave outside pass in the carousel, which finally gave me some breathing room. I help onto 2nd place until just past start/finish when both of them came streaking by. I passed him again on the brakes into t3 and again, he came streaking by on the back straight. This time, I put a little extra agression in and pulled of a clean block pass going into t6. This allowed me to go through the rest of the infield at my own pace and gave me enough gap to not see him again on the front straight. or so I thought....
    Around lap 3 or 4, a problem surfaced in the motor department. it started as a slight bog coming out of one of the tighter turns, but the motor seemed to be running fine up on the pipe. Next turn, again, a little bog before it "cleared up" and ran clean up top. My mind was racing about possible causes and I made up my mind to continue as long as I was on the podium because I was fairly certain it wasn't potentially catastrophic, but more likely a fouled plug or some other minor malady. Next lap, Allaert came streaking by on the straight and the bog became more pronounced, so I threw in the towel and pulled off the racing line, keeping an eye out for the fast BOTT leaders. I survived the slow lap without getting in everyones way and made it back to my pit. Though I DNF'd, I believe I got credited for finishing, but I never bothered to look and see where it was.
    Back in the pits, a quick glance showed a copious amount of back spray from the left carb, so I figured I had probably broken or cracked a reed. When I pulled the carb, my diagnosis was confirmed. Not to worry, I had a complete set of good used reeds as spares and replaced the broken reed. Bike fired up immediately. :rock: Also noticed in my post race inspection was that my Continental tires, which have been absolutely AMAZING, lasting with nary a slip nor slide for 9 WEEKENDS!! were finally giving up the ghost. (Carousel is hard on the right side of the tire) I didn't have another set at the track, so I was stuck with what I had for tomorrows races.
    F-Vintage Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TdgNjHZTw

Sunday

In contrast to Saturdays overcast and warm weather, Sunday was Cool, breezy and hardly a cloud in the sky. I skipped 1st practice to save wear on the tires, but instead spent some time making changes to the bike. I've been feeling for quite a while that the bike has had a slight tendency to run wide in turns, so I dropped the front 3mm. I wanted to make a gearing change too, but realized that I didn't have the sprocket I needed, so decided I'd just stay with what I had. The front end change worked great in practice, allowing me to do a better job hitting my apexes. I came in early to limit wear on the rear tire.

F500:
    Pretty much the same result as yesterday, though there were 4 bikes entered and I did manage to still finish 3rd. Had some good battles early but the rear tire was definitely in the back of my mind every time I went through a right handed turn. I knew that I basically had 3rd in the bag and also that I needed to save grip for the next race.
    F500 Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmH60FnEkc

F-Vintage:
    David Crussel's gpz came in on the crash truck in an earlier race, so I was entertaining notions that he might be on a slower bike. Sadly, when i pulled up to the grid, he was there on an immaculate looking tz750.:wow: So much for the slow back-up bike.....:rolleyes:
    I got a good start, with a similar result to yesterday, except that Patrick Brown also blasted by on his very fast Triumph Trident on the back straight. I followed through t5 and t6 and then got by both him and Allaert on the brakes at the bottom of Hurry Downs. I never saw Allaert again, but Patrick Brown and I had a great battle for a couple laps until I had a nice slide in the carousel. After that, I decided that prudence was the better part of valor and backed off to finish 3rd. I noticed that Patrick was running a go pro on his helmet, so it will be interesting to see if he posts his vids to you tube.

F-Vintage Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9R6oU-yvc

All in all a great weekend at a great track!! For being outgunned motor-wise and also not having much experience at the track, I think a handful of 3rds is a pretty good result. I knew going in that I would have nothing for Spargo or Crussell. In spite of the 17 hr drive, I think I will make this a yearly event. The Carousel is now my favorite turn in the world and I owe it to myself to go around it more! Life's too short not to!!:up:

Huge thanks to Doug Johnsonat Moto Carrera, Lyn and Pat Garland at Vintage Specialties, Buff Harsh at THR for supplying the AWESOME Continentals and especially to my AMAZING pit crew, Eileen, Mackenzie and Drew! Couldn't do it without YOU!!!!

Till next time....

Mark Morrow

2. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Well, that was fun, Mark, almost (but not quite) as good as being there racing. Sorry to miss it.

Don't feel bad about having your clock cleaned by Spargo and Ryan Hunt. I think I am used to it by now.