1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Challenge At Barber

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by charles, Dec 28, 2007.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

I don't know, will it?

2. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

My team didn't have any Big Dogs, but how about a fierce little Junkyard Dog- Jack Parker on an AHRMA 200gp bike, second to Tim in 500gp. Not too shabby. 175 cc's of fury...

3. charles

charles The Transporter

We noticed that...Jack did real good for himself on that
    pint sized bike...wonder if he coulda caught Tim?:p

Jack Parker, a Big Dog of the Barber Challenge.

Who else?

4. Triumph#207

Triumph#207 Well-Known Member

How much HP does them fast Honder CB 350's make? Must admit they cleaned my clock in V2 at Barber never mind V3 that I expected coming in :( .

Course, rider ability is a huge factor but just wondered ...

Never had my Triumph on a dyno but would hope that it makes about 50-55HP+ at the rear wheel with 30mm carbs that I am restricted to in AHRMA's HW Proddy Class.

Any comments including snide remarks appreciated:beer:

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  5. toecutter418

toecutter418 Flat Rat Racing

Give me a Triumph to ride and we'll see! :clap:

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

A good running, race built Triumph 500 twin, that will live, will make about 45 hp on the dyno. I suspect Buff's Honda 350's make about 46 - 47 hp . . . Buff?

A 55 hp (rear wheel) Triumph 500 twin is a myth. Try to turn the rpm's and watch it shake itself to pieces, rapidly.

7. charles

charles The Transporter

Honda 350's make beaucoup HP, maybe 65, no one will say but they are indeed surprising...not that we haven't slain them with our RD's, we have, but you get a Buff riding one and he's gonna check out on ya...I think that your bike was simply depressed. Yes, depressed, because you make her wear those pissy little 30mm carbs, I mean, spend some cash on the QUEEN. You rode good, nothing snide here to report, and I liked your belly pan...any man like yerself who is willing to ride an antique motorbike deserves lots of respect!:up:

8. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I have been told that Buff's bike made 48 hp on an Atlanta area dyno: Buff once told me he was looking forward to 50hp. My own full V1 CB350 motor made 36hp @ 10,000 rpm on HFD1 motorsports dyno: the dyno chart shows hp still climbing..so probably 38hp @ 11,500rpm. Huff told me his dyno reads low compared to a Dynojet so the 36 probably translates to 40...so anyway, rumors of 65 hp are way off unless liquid dynamite is poured into the fuel tank!

When I was a college student with a CB350 in Providence R.I. a fellow student with a new Triumph Daytona 500 [that I lusted after] got a part time job in Boston--35 miles away and had to commute: the Daytona did that daily for a few months and then sawed it's aluminum [!] rods in half somehow.....

9. Triumph#207

Charles, I'm resticted to stock carbs cos of being in AHRMA's HW Proddy class. I think that's one reason, as well as stock footrests, drum brakes etc , my Triumph is allowed to crossover to V2 instead of V3

I hear tell that some of the Triumphs in the AHRMA faster classes are making 70 BHP at the rear wheel which is believable having seen Tim's, Tom Sharp's and Bid 'D's in action. I think Tim's bike has 38mm carbs as well as lots of other go fast stuff. The stock crankshaft breaks under that kind of HP though so big bucks have to be spent on an after market crankshaft. But you guys probably know that stuff already.

Anyway hope WERA/Fast from the Past has another Challenge event and that more AHRMA guys are persuaded to enter -especially Queens Iron riders :up:

I suppose you guys know already about the AHRMA event at Talladega weekend of May 17th. See Wayne Moore, Carl Anderson and Mike Wells and, of course Roy Chapman on his Triumph are entered:clap:

Thanks for the feedback guys:up:

:beer:

P.S. Thanks for the kindly comment Charles - means a lot coming from you

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Malcolm rides a 650...mine's the 500.

650/750 triumph with big cam, appropriate headwork (where the real power is), carbs, exh, will approach 70 hp, at which point, as Malcolm mentioned, the cranks begin snapping.

11. Triumph#207

Chuck - wish I could say its a only 650 but its actually a 750 (has a Routt barrel on it).

BTW, I would think that Andy Cowell's 500 Triumph produces some big HP as he usually wins AHRMA Sportsman 500 on it. Again though he is a very fast rider so that helps.

See Ya at Talladega :up: Weather forecast looking good:D

12. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Can't wait - got my bike buttoned back up yesterday, helped Steve tune his Honda, and we're ready.

See you there.

13. charles

charles The Transporter

I want all you Honda CB350 guys and the Lone Ranger on the BSA singles
    to put those antiques in moth-balls (or sterno) for preservation, and get
    on board for fun, power, and podium finishes with Yam RD/TZ racebikes.
    Now, mine is a slow one, only 31.56 HP on the dyno, maybe 32.56 with
    leaner jetting, but hell you can get them up to 75 HP like Mark or Dick,
    Lyn and our own Good Bob. Why drone around with industrial-sounding motors:tut:
    when you can delight in the peculiar high-pitched wail of the powerful and
    all-conquering 2-Stroker? :up:

14. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Or you can get a Kawi triple, leave the motor stock, add some carbs and chambers, enjoy a leisurely pace through the corners, and engage warp drive when you get to the straight. Please be sure to wave to all the RDs and 4 strokes as you go by. :D

15. charles

charles The Transporter

A Kawi Triple! Why didn't I think of that!:eek:

Then I can enjoy the "leisurely pace"
    that you set, Jim! :p

"Triples. Everyone wants one."
    -Jim Hinshaw, 2007.

16. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Stock....I'm sure.....:rolleyes:

I was born at night, but I wasn't born LAST night!!:p

17. charles

charles The Transporter

WineMeister, you might be surprised...the transfers in the
    Kawi cylinders are relatively small due to the effort to
    squeeze in three cylinders (weird, huh?), and the ex
    and intake ports are also limited...not far from stock,
    I can tell you...and piston port, did you forget?

Therefore, in order to win on the Kawi triple, you need
    to be a good rider first and foremost...someday, someone
    is going to bring out a real beast of a Kawi triple and
    smote all competition...or is it 'smite'?

I wonder if I could get a 750 triple in an RD350 frame?

18. hinshaw929

Belive it or not, my porting is fairly conservative. A tuner by the name of Neville Lush with years of triple tuning down in kangaroo land sent me the dyno sheet on a 500 he built for this year. 100hp with a powerband about the same as mine. :eek:

Needless to say that I asked for all the details. :)

19. hinshaw929

You probably could but it would be a perpetual wheelie machine. :D

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Well then I'd get a heavy rider...errr...a 'rider of substance'
    to learn to ride the bike with all of his 'substance' leaning on
    the tank to hold down the wheel.:up:

I seem to recall one of our vintage guys doing that...