1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cash Prizes - Mid-Ohio July 8, 2017 - Start Money

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Dec 8, 2016.

1. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Mongo- You should allow them in V7mw. 250 vs 600 was always a very exciting battle back when they were all new. Oh wait...'98.... I guess that would make it V8? Is there a MW/HW breakdown in V8?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes there is a split in V8. That's the class I was thinking of.

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

That would be fun to watch. I remember watching Lee Acree battle it out with Rentzel, Opie and others in the MW solo back when I first started racing. They were always pretty epic!

4. knarlydog

knarlydog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys.

5. i-Zapp

i-Zapp Member

guys, i apologize for busting into this thread, but after an hour of googling this is the closest thread i could find on the topic of vintage road racing... i am a brand new racer (just took the race class last month) and haven't even had my first heat race yet. my intention is to run MidO (my home track) this year for VMD, but the more i dig, the more i'm unclear on things...

my plan is to run an old F2 CBR600, and looking at the AMA rules, it'd be a "Vintage 7 mediumweight". But when i look at past results, the biggest classes i see are "Stars" lightweight and mediumweight, and Formula GP and no mention of V7. what are those??? in the spirit of racing i'd like to grid up with more than just two other guys, so what classes can i run besides the V7?

2015 results:
    http://amavintagemotorcycledays.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/2015-road-racing.pdf

thanks! (i hope someone on this thread is motivated to answer!)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

When AMA named the classes your F2 was in 90's Supersport and 90's Superbike which used Wera V7 rules. The Stars classes are for twins only. What the AMA schedule in their supplemental rulebook does not show is the extra modern classes that will also be run. Those include C-Superbike, C-Superstock, A-Superbike and A-Superstock. You can run C-Superbike and maybe C-Superstock (depending on mods) races on your F2. Look at the Mid-Ohio schedule for last year to get an idea of the schedule.

http://maps.wera.com/schedule/?x=1098

8. i-Zapp

i-Zapp Member

i guess the issue i'm having is trying to match the classes defined in the 2017 rules to the results from previous events. For example, from WERA's site i can see the following classes for last year's VMD event, and because i can't match the class names to the rules, i don't know where my '92 CBR600 F2 belongs, or how many other racers might be in my class. based on my guess below, it doesn't look for promising for me...

From '16 WERA VMD event (obviously nonapplicable entries removed)-:

From Rules handbook (obviously nonapplicable entries removed)-

i. 125 GP
    ii. 250 GP
    iii. 350 GP
    iv. 500 GP
    i. Vintage 1
    ii. Vintage 2
    iii. Vintage 3
    iv. Vintage 4
    v. Vintage 5
    vi. Vintage 6 Heavyweight
    vii. Vintage 6 Mediumweight (per the 2017 WERA rules)
    viii. Vintage 6 Lightweight
    ix. Vintage 7 Heavyweight
    x. Vintage 7 Mediumweight

xi. Vintage 8 Heavyweight
    xii. Vintage 8 Mediumweight
    i. Formula 500
    vi. Formula 2
    vii. Formula 3

9. JBall

600/C Superstock and Superbike are modern classes (no vintage equivalent).
    90's Supersport = V7MW
    90's Superbike = V7HW
    GenX Superbike HW = V6HW
    GenX Superbike LW = V6LW
    Original SB LW, MW, and HW are all V5.

The original AMA Classes were based more on AHRMA rules which is why Original SB was split into three classes, with only one Wera class.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just take a look at the Vintage rules in our rulebook, you should be all set.

Basically your bike is V7MW, then up to V7HW and V8MW - then if you really want more...V8HW and the C/600 classes.

Not sure what you mean by looking promising. The F2 is a good competitive bike but as with most Vintage stuff it won't have more than one class built just for it.

11. i-Zapp

i-Zapp Member

now that i know that V7MW is equivalent to the "90's superbike/sport", it's evident that the class size is about 1-2 racers. that's the bummer part. I'm cool with just one class, just don't want to win my first race because i was the only one in it! man, what's it gonna take to reinvigorate this sport??????

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unless the riders who run it normally break you wont win it - even if there are only two of them. :D If you do it'll be truly impressive.

One thing that will help is AHRMA getting their even moved to another weekend. The rest of it will take more people with hobby money and people not staying home due to low turnouts, that's just a self fulfilling thing when it happens.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Build another bike for another class. DUH! LOL Reinvigorate? Sure I guess but as a new racer you better put your time in with the sport a little before you start talking about what needs to change.

14. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Handicaps Reveal - Free Beer to be Served

I plan to attend the Roebling event this weekend. I will bring the draft handicaps for the July 8 races. I will be serving free home-brewed beer Friday and Saturday evenings. I am extending an invitation to anyone who can form an intelligent opinion about vintage racing or beer to come by my pit. I will not be racing but hope to get out and run a few laps in the HMGP class. After carefully considering any comments received over the weekend, I will post the handicaps here next week. Look forward to seeing you at Roebling.

15. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Entered Saturday & Sunday in 500GP. Now I only need to have bikes running . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

17. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Anyone going to run V6HW?

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Mongo -

I'm confused (no jokes please).

The Mid-Ohio schedule, which I understood to have WERA classes, has the following classes listed for races on Saturday: Class C, GP125, Pre-War. However, there is no Clubman listed. What are these classes? Why no Clubman?

Thank you,

19. JBall

"Modern" classes are listed as being limited and not all of them are running. A and C plus the twins classes that have always been there are the main ones.

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I found Class C, Pre-War and GP125 in the AMA rule book.

No Clubman????????????

Cheers,

Dave