1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Cash Prizes - Mid-Ohio July 8, 2017 - Start Money

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Can-am, Dec 8, 2016.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Dave Roper doesn't count. I watched him race with the 350 grid on a CB175. You need to pick a different type of human for this comparison.

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Thanks BJ!

Roper is in a class of one on a 350 GP bike.

Cheers,

Dave

3. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. With the combination of small fields and the AMA class structure it is hard to get good baseline numbers for the WERA classes. I need people who run at the front of their class, not necessarily setting a track record for the class. Here are some I have received:
    V5 - Harry Vanderlinden 1:53.6
    V2 - Todd Narduzzi 1:56.4
    V3 - Roy Chapman 1:57.4
    350GP - Stu Carter 1:55.2

What were Scott Mackenzie and Ryan Hunt running in the "70 GP 500" class? Formula 500 bikes? They were in the high 1:47 range in 2015.
    What was Will Brint riding in "Original Superbike HW? V5? He was 1:51.7 in 2015. Or Sam Williams in the same class in 2013 at 1:49.2?

Keep those suggestions coming. Good data produces fair competition for the prize money. I had good data for Barber and the system distributed the prizes across the field. I need data and observations. Has the track surface changed much since the AHRMA years? Are those times still relevant? Were any of the recent races run in slippery conditions so those times should not be used.

I know Josh Hayes turned a 1:25.9 in 2015. Any claims under that will be viewed with suspicion. Thanks, Ron

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

350GP - Jason Roberts 1:54.333

Most others in 350GP are doing in the 1:58 - 2:00 range.

5. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I am hoping it will be straight Wera rules this year which will let me run my EX500 in V5 (have been mid to back of the GenX SB LW which is Wera V6LW ). I have run 13 races there over the last four years including Vintage days and Wera on the same bike and would like to think I'll be up there in V5. Average best time for 13 races is 1:51.0 and best time was in 2015 with a 1:49.4. Did a 1:50.3 this year.

The track is not as fast as AHRMA days because of additional sealer everywhere and some patching that has been done (keyhole is pretty sketchy). Times can vary quite a bit because when it gets cool or overcast the track gets slick - any morning practice times will always be slow - or crash trying.

Sam Williams was on a built KZ-1000. Not sure I know Will Brint but maybe he was on a Honda CB900?

6. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Ryan Hunt was on a VERY fast F500 spec rd400.

7. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

But he's Canadian so that shouldn't count.... ;)

JBall likes this.
  8. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

In 2011 on my first and only visit to Mid Ohio my best time on the H2 750 (V5) was a 1:50 while on the the H1 500 in their version of F500 my best time was a 1:52.227. I think those times got me on the podium 2 out of 4 races but the grids were small. I was still learning the track when the weekend ended (not an easy track to learn) but I think I should be able to shave a couple of seconds per lap off those times with more track time.

9. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

so does a v4 competing in v5 as a bump up get a different handicap from a v5 bike? purely a self interested question.

83BSA and JBall like this.
  10. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

"so does a v4 competing in v5 as a bump up get a different handicap from a v5 bike? purely a self interested question."

Yes. The handicap is based on the bike's original class. When it is running in a higher class (bumped up) the handicap should make them equal in terms of competing for the prize money.

Note, however, that you must tell the organizer that it is a V4 bike running in the V5 class before the race so the proper handicap is applied in the calculations.

Thanks to everyone who has provided me with some times for various classes. I still need more to have a reasonable database from which to calculate handicaps. Keep those posts coming.

11. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that... So I should have won more money last time running a 250 in GP 350 and GP 500... Damn....

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

No 250GP in WERA so I don't think it's classed as a bump-up in 350, 500GP on the other hand...

13. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

back in 2014 chasing John Blike we were running 1:50-1::51 as best laps in v4

14. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

This is a summary of data that has been sent to me. Obviously I need more. Many of the classes are completely empty. The problem for me is the rids at AMA VMD have been light in the past few years due to the scheduling conflict with the AHRMA race. The other problem is the races have been run under AMA class rules so even with a cross reference chart I am not sure which WERA class the competitor might fit in. Good data produces good handicaps. As they used to say back in the day, "Keep those cards and letters coming".

Suggested benchmark times Mid-Ohio
    F500, V1, 350GP race
    F500 Ryan Hunt 1:47.7
    V2
    V1
    500GP
    350GP Jason Roberts 1:54.3

V5, V3 race
    V5 Sam Williams 1:49.2
    V4 John Blike 1:50.5
    F500 Ryan Hunt 1:47.7
    F2T
    V3 Roy Chapman 1:57.4
    V2 Todd Narduzzi 1:56.4

15. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yo Ron....just a thought here....

The classes that are NOT helping themselves by helping you here.....don't pay those classes.

Take the money you slotted for them, and throw it into the pot for the classes that are helping themselves by providing some info.

Don't pay the classes you cant get info on. If you cant even get info, they probably wont show either.

Just a thought.

16. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I ran a best time of 1:56.9 on a V-2 legal formula RD 400 in 2014 at Mid-O if that is any help. In the same race Todd Narduzzi ran a best lap of 1:50.9 winning his class, Clubman 500, I took 3rd in the same class. That was the crossover class to WERA's V-2.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  17. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

My apologies, the name is Richard Lucas WERA # 345

18. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I attend a lot of races even though I am not sitting on the grid anymore, except for an occasional track day or HMGP exhibition. Based on observed times in 26 dry races at four south east tracks I have a model which should predicted relative lap times between the various classes in the two selected races I am posting prize money. For the F500, V1, 350GP race:

Tally Roebling Road Atl Barber Average
    F500 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
    V2 103% 103% 104% 103% 103%
    V1 106% 107% 107% 105% 106%
    500GP 109% 110% 109% 106% 109%
    350GP 112% 112% 111% 108% 111%

In theory if I had good data on any class I could project relative lap times of the others at that track. The problem is that not all tracks have the same spread, although they all have the same relative order. Hence I need good data on past performance at Mid-Ohio and I need enlightened commentary on whether Mid-Ohio should follow the relative spread of any of the above tracks. Thanks for your input.

19. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I attend a lot of races even though I am not sitting on the grid anymore, except for an occasional track day or HMGP exhibition. Based on observed times in 26 dry races at four south east tracks I have a model which should predicted relative lap times between the various classes in the two selected races I am posting prize money. For the V5, V3 race:

Tally Roebling Road Atl Barber Average
    V5 100% 100% 100% 100% 100%
    V4 104% 101% 102% 104% 103%
    F500 103% 101% 103% 105% 103%
    F2T 103% 101% 103% 105% 103%
    V3 106% 102% 104% 108% 105%
    V2 106% 105% 107% 108% 106%

In theory if I had good data on any class I could project relative lap times of the others at that track. The problem is that not all tracks have the same spread, although they all have the same relative order. Hence I need good data on past performance at Mid-Ohio and I need enlightened commentary on whether Mid-Ohio should follow the relative spread of any of the above tracks. Thanks for your input.

20. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Sorry about the confused columns above. I had them all arranged in neat rows and columns, but when I hit "post" all that nice formatting went away. At least the data stayed in the correct row. As you can see, historically F500 is the fastest class in the first race and V5 is in the second race. F500 and F 2 stroke tend to be the same bikes and hence the same relative times. I still need data and your observations as to how the classes should perform relative to each other at Mid-Ohio. Thanks, Ron