1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Bikes at Indy! (kind of?)

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Wade Parish, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Talked to Bill that's what he told me... I think they are only 15 Min though... Still a Heck of a good time.... My Suzuki was blessed as well as my Buddy's Aprilia Mile ... Send Bill a E-Mail.. Contact info Below... Just PM me Wade.. I don't want the Powers to Be thinking we are Promoting a Track Day Here........ And Thanks.... If it weren't for your Post I never would have known about this...

About HMGP

Historic Moto Gran Prix (HMGP) is collector organization led by former AMA Pro racer Bill Brown. It is designed as an alternate venue for acknowledged classics like Manx Nortons and air-cooled TD Yamahas, and is also looking to draw more recent "classic" racers including the likes of the legendary two-strokes of the 1970s and the AMA four-stroke superbikes of the 1980s and 1990s. Privateer and replica racer models are highly encouraged to attend. HMGP is the perfect place to share motorsports history with other enthusiasts and display the bikes in the proper setting; at speed on the race track. This is world-class gentleman's racing. HMGP gratefully acknowledges their presenting sponsor, Yamaha Motor Corporation, for their dedication to preserving racing and engineering history. For information on membership, classes, this year's calendar and event photos see www.hmgpracing.com. For up to the minute postings by the organization and its members see www.facebook.com/historicmoto.granprix. For questions or additional information contact Bill via phone at (404) 379-6091 or via email at [email protected].

Wade Parish likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Historic Moto Grand Prix - Bill Brown started it to get Vintage bikes out to events they wouldn't normally run at - like this one and Pro events and such. He also does events with us. It's a little bit exhibition and a little bit racing.

Wade Parish likes this.
  3. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

It's laid back... but. Very fun group of guys...

Wade Parish likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just signed up... We will be there Weds PM till the Sunday... I need to break the dust off the GoPro for sure....

Wade Parish likes this.
  5. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Cool.
    So, to be clear, do you think there will be any actual races?

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Nothing other than MOCK races for bikes from my understanding....... I wouldn't want to race at Indy backwards anyhow...

7. Wade Parish

Hmmm.... so MOCK in what way? Standing start and flags but just no points or purse?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It depends on the rider. Some of them are running at 90-100% others are not. Depends on the bike they're on too. No points, no trophies. It's to get the bikes in front of people who wouldn't normally see them and to do so in a fun racey type manner but without blowing things up or crashing.

Wade Parish likes this.
  9. Wade Parish

Gotcha.
    Thanks.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Great group...I did an event on one of Ron Ravens (canam) bikes....great time just getting out on track with other bikes. The bike was cool too, and headed for the barber museum.

Indy would be a bucket list item for sure.

Yo bowie....you crusty fack.:)

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

FIFY

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

:) HA!....leave it to Scudder....rubbing people on AND off the track!!

I was ringing that thing so hard the baffles came out of the exhaust! It was LOUD after that.:)

13. Oldracer27

Oldracer27 WERA #27 expert retired

Hey Wade, find me a bike to ride!
    Jim Knipp is putting his '77 KZ650 "Superbike Factory" bike back together right now.

Wade Parish likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweet!

15. Wade Parish

Ha! Sorry, Greg, you're on your own. I'm gonna be lucky to get out there myself.

16. Oldracer27

Oldracer27 WERA #27 expert retired

Part of the old Superbike Factory was there!
    I ended up riding Jim Knipp's '77 KZ650 Superbike.
    Lot's of electrical & carburation issues but first time it's run in decades.
    God bless modern electronic fuel injection!
    This was a great event, being at the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway with an amazing array of vintage racing machines; cars & bikes.
    image2.JPG IMG_2077 sm.jpg IMG_2096 sm.jpg DSC08294.JPG DSC08306.JPG

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hey I see my trailer!!!! Jim was a cool dude..Always nice to know a local there and show us the hidden parts of the Speedway...First time I met him.. Good to meet you as well Greg...
    Best week/weekend of my Life....... Pitting behind Legends row.. Who would have thought..... I have too many Photo's and Video's to post.... We ran the F-1 Config.... It was not the safest between Indy's 2 and 1.5 but I would ride it every day if I had the chance.... We had a great group of riders... About 28 If I am not mistaken.. Only 1 run off in the gravel on day 2.. No injuries or scratches on bike... Track stayed dry every session and race. too.... The TLR got a work out for sure...No Brakes left either... Got to sneak the GSXR out in a session as well..Big thanks to Bill Brown and HMGP in setting this up.. I have some Go Pro Laps I can post for a few Practices and Exhibition Races... Just need to figure out how to post them...

This was home the last 4 days.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wade Parish likes this.
  18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

One of Bobby Unsers Winning cars.... He was not driving but was there and the Grand Marshall of the Weekend......

[​IMG]

Make a long story short I met Bobby about 25 Years ago in Atlanta when I was Bartending in Downtown Atlanta... He was commentating for CBS for the Atlanta 500.. We had a few beers and when My shift was over I told him I was going to the boat show at the Congress Center and it was good meeting him... I met all sorts of celebrities back then from Jordan to Will Clark ect...Bobby was by far the coolest and he wanted to come to the boat show with me too.. I took him there and we were mobbed with people wanting his Autograph... We left then went out to Dinner... He had some stories that were unreal about Pikes Peak and Indy.... The next AM He came back to the bar gave me a Autographed Picture that is still at that Bar... That was the last time I saw him... When I heard he was the Grand Marshall I asked his brother Al Sr. when I saw him on Saturday where he was... Also the story... He said he remembered Bobby telling him about it... I saw Bobby signing Autographs in the garage in Gasoline Alley and when I got up to the table I said Guess who?? He friggin remembered who I was and was happy to see me again... He had a lot going on being the Grand Marshall and all but it was real good to see him again... I got a girl behind me to snap this Pic...He is still sharp as a tack and this really made my weekend....

[​IMG]

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

There were so many BAD ASS Cars there it was silly.... And what was cool is hearing them, seeing them on the track and of course hearing the different Engines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]