1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vietnamese sword experts???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Dec 12, 2017.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

This may be a stretch but...

My tech has a sword set that her father brought back from the Vietnam war. Trying to figure out the details on them. There's some interesting marking on the blades, and the handles are made of bamboo. I'll post pics here in a little bit, but is there anyone here who has any kind of working knowledge of these swords?

2. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Pics of said swords

Attached Files:

JustaNobody likes this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

How much you wanna bet they were crafted by Nguyen?

Cool stuff though, I'm sure someone on here is a Vietnamese sword guru. This forum is better than all encyclopedias + google combined.

Shenanigans likes this.
  4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I figured if this place don't know, NOBODY knows!

sbk1198 likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Don't know jack about them but they are cool.

6. joec

joec brace yourself

Track down a guy named jd smith of Hammersmith knives. He's a bladedsmith I knew a few years ago and he's still in the game. Hell tell you everything you need to know.

He's a little elusive but he can be found on a few of the knife forums.

pjzocc likes this.
  7. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Will do! I have zero knowledge of any knife forums... can you direct me?

8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

You could post up the info on Bladeforums. There are some really knowledgeable guys on that site. I'm sure that someone there will know about this sword.

pjzocc likes this.
  9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thanks!

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Thai Dha, village grade, possibly Montagnard. They are considered as both a weapon and a tool. Chop, slash, draw. Single- or two-handed.

Shenanigans and pjzocc like this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Any value to these? (will check the knife forums tonight after work as well)

This place never ceases to amaze.

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Found him on the Facetoobs... he couldn't help but THANK YOU.

13. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Call the Beard of Knowledge. ;)

image.jpeg

sharkattack, ToofPic and Phl218 like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pretty cool looking but my bet is that it's worth not a whole hella lot. More of a tool than something like a 1000 year old (example here) Japanese Samurai sword.

But I could be wrong and it would be cool to hear what you find out.

pjzocc likes this.
  15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

If you decide to sell it off I would recommend having Randy Jackson sign it first!

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Report back what you find out.

pjzocc likes this.
  17. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

They are nice but no Hattori Hanzo...

Scotty87, pjzocc, Britt and 2 others like this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Could be $200-$500, as is, individually or for the pair.
    It's possible those blades could be more than a hundred years old. Then again, they coulda been made in the '60s.

The engraved "eye" would tell you more about its value. Figure that out and you'll know about all you can. The slash marks may be a date code...not necessarily as we understand dates.

19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Rick Harrison and Chumly will give you $10. Or try the Detroit pawn shop in "Hardcore Pawn"...

Shenanigans likes this.
  20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Yeah I figured the "eye" would tell me something, just haven't gotten to finding anything yet. I'm hoping the slash marks are number of kills -like on a fighter jet!

I'm looking to get it for my son who - hopefully - will be getting his black belt in June. He starts cycle next month, and this would be a cool gift for him, I think. Especially since my pops served in Vietnam, and The Boy is very much into Dad's history and military service. I think he'd very much appreciate the significance of the swords. If it's worth a couple hundred bucks, I'll buy it from her for that. If it's worth a couple thousand, I'm gonna tell her to keep it as an heirloom.