1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical hand controls ...

Discussion in 'General' started by Raceless man, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Has it ever been tried ? As arm pump for racers is becoming more and more prevalent and a limiting factor for their performance. Would a more vertical control package mitigate that ?

Do clip ons have to be straight tubes ?

2. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Due to our riding position there is always a vertical force on the bars, I would think that having a vertical bar would be quite tiring to hold on to. Horizontal bars are easy to hold on to because of the vertical force being perpendicular to them.

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Like this?

racer-jarnoClipons.jpg

joec likes this.
  4. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Yes..like that..i had envisioned a wider and higher placement but thank you for the pic and answers.

5. Did someone say vertical hand control?

upload_2021-9-17_16-39-20.jpeg

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

IMO hand/wrist/forearm orientation has little to no affect on arm pump. I have a lot of experience with arm pump from rock climbing. The direction that you pull or hold onto climbing holds doesnt change the pump at all. The major factors that do affect pump are training and how tightly you grip. So I doubt that a different bar position will aid anything for your avg pro racer.

Because of climbing, I never experience arm pump at the track. My forearms or hands may get tired, but I never pump out. I'm also not racing in GP.

I am surprised that we haven't seen GP racers publicly incorporate climbing into their training, especially since the sport is much more popular in Southern Europe.

7. ton

ton Arf!

As a climber, that’s been my experience as well. But as you say… we aren’t professionals.