1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Venting Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Tech' started by LossPrev, Apr 22, 2018.

1. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I took the fuel fume emissions garbage off my zx10 and capped off the vent line. Since I'm lazy can I just put a self venting fuel cap on rather than running new hoses?

I figured the cap would vent positive pressure but wasn't sure if it would release a vacuum if negative pressure builds from the pump pulling fuel.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As long as while its venting built-up pressure (lets say its a very hot day) it does spray little spurts of fuel up at you. At least the stock vent hoses point it down into the belly pan. Optionally I guess you could cut and weld a vent and hose onto the top of the tank like you see on factory bikes.

motorbike406186.jpg

3. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Definitely don't want to tap the tank. Pretty sure there's a way to run the stock vent to the air box I just didn't want to dick around with it since I'll be putting a keyless cap on anyhow.

My r1 didn't have the emissions thing so I've never experienced having to vent a tank before.