1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Extended Warranty: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Feb 27, 2021.

1. sdg

sdg *

Just make sure no kids are in it when you do so.

2. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Yep. That’s who I got my HondaCare warranty through. Great price.

BigBird likes this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Actually, the 2022 Frontier is a new design. Not sure if it’s new from the wheels up or from the frame up. If it’s the former, I might want to wait a year. If it’s the latter, that frame and power train has proven itself reliable.

BigBird and Sweatypants like this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Reinsurance is actually a very big business.
    Genius is buying a car that's in the shop all the time the first year you own it?

5. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So you have done two already. Consider if you had put the amount in savings what could you self insure with that money? IMO almost 100% of warranties they sell are a bad idea. Better to save the money (and DO save it) then if something happens you can cover it yourself. The sales overhead of extended warranties is very high.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

Or put another way it is risk mitigation. Something like death or a house is to large for most to self insure. An iPhone is something if you cannot self insure you should not be buying. Cars are a middle ground as if you cannot self insure buying used/less expensive if feasible. With the $$ not spent you accumulate where you can self insure.

Prime example is bike insurance on a sport bike, CRAZY expensive. Buy the bike cash and accept the risk on a toy. With what you don't spend you could buy a bike for cash in a few years (I figure my 04 CBR would have been 'rebought' 3-4 times minimum since I got it)

Motofun352 and sdg like this.
  8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

honestly i hadn't been paying attention, but the cabin shape and rear bed/tail light shape still look the same. no idea either. i DO know they completely skipped the last update that all other countries had like 6 years ago, but either way. if its the same chassis/motor, i'd just buy one. if its all new, just like you said, wait a year. and then still don't get an extended warranty. my buddy had his for over a decade and it was one of the most carefree ownerships ever besides owning a Corolla or some shit. we took that thing into the desert, down crazy fire roads to get to DH mountain bike spots, moving duties, everything. all he ever did was the diff vent mod, tires/brakes when needed, and fluid changes. it had a lift and 33's on it. easiest truck to own ever. he's got a new F250 now... we'll see how that thing holds up.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/04/2022-nissan-frontier-debuts/

"It brings eye-catching styling, a new V6 engine (that actually debuted in the old truck) "

"Nissan previously announced that the 3.8-liter V6 it introduced as a last-second update for the 2020 Frontier was destined for the next-gen truck, and it made good on that promise. The engine makes 310 horsepower and 281 pound-feet of torque."

"A nine-speed automatic transmission is the only one available — it’s the same transmission as the Titan uses. "

"Supporting all that weight and new engine is an updated version of the outgoing Frontier’s frame. This truck chassis has been in use since the Frontier was totally new for the 2005 model year, meaning it’s about to go into its 18th year of duty."

Soooo... same old chassis, engine already in use, trans already in use. Buy the truck and fuck the warranty.

Boman Forklift and sharkattack like this.
  9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

15 k in fixes on a used range rover adds up very quick, not that I know, I worked on a boat in the Bahamas and the owners wife had one there. Used it to buy groceries. Awesome beautiful SUV, but they are love/ hate and the depreciation is to the moon and back. Pay 100k+ and 5 years later its worth less than 1/2. I'll stick to my used dodge ram, but my point was thats the one time that buying an extended warranty actually helped the customer. Thats why they don't do it anymore

10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

They are gigantic pieces of shit. The only people that should own them, are mechanics that can fix it themselves and don't need it as a primary vehicle, and people rich enough to not give a fuck about the bill or how often it has to be in the dealership. If that's not you, run away.

11. sheepofblue

Or don't spend 100K for a pretty and buy something that does the job for less. With the money saved you could stroke a 15K check.

It would be interesting to hear what the warranty costs and how many years they bought on other vehicles before being 'saved' on this one. Yes I am a skeptic. I would suspect at least 7K was spent for the 'chance' of saving 15K, a chance most don't get so they are just out 7K. Consider the time spent on commercials to get an idea of the margin in favor of the policy writers.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

GEICO has had this for over a decade. Works great, $250 deductible each time used though, but covers most everything.

~sent from mobile

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    R/T Performance likes this.
  13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Extended warranty I just decline, on everything.
    Last year local dealer tried to sell me CPO for $4500 :)
    I did waste couple hours of his time to explain everything it covers and why I should pay for it. Started negotiating it as well just to waist his time going back and forth to manager. Then told him to fuck off 1/2 hour after closing hour :)
    Some times I really enjoy shopping cars :)

sharkattack likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

If you are really into getting a CPO extension, browse the Benz forums - there’s a lady in Chicago with “pretty good rates”

15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

So those numbers would come to $10 mo. That's how i broke it down when i got extended warranties on my '16 Tuono and '18 RZR. 5 more years coverage (7 yrs total on the Tuono and 5 1/2 years for the RZR). Came out to $13-15 mo for each. I know we're talking cars here, but that's a small price to pay for just a little peace of mind.

Those are the only extended warranties i have ever paid for, for anything, ever.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

It’s a 3rd party. I’ll have to check this afternoon when I get it back from my old man. He needed additional power for the weekend, so we swapped.

But I’ll say this, I had an issue come up with an injector issue that was outside of the oem warranty, and as someone else mentioned, $100 and it was taken care of.

sharkattack likes this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of CPO warranties on most brands. Hell my Passat TDI has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Considering I drive 60k+ miles a year I thought it was a safe bet. Plus with most CPO deals they do new brakes, tires, etc which is nice. They cost a little more than the equivalent non warranty car but just having fresh wear parts makes up for most of the difference.

Volvo used to have a killer one that was like 5 year/100k and we had an audi that had a great warranty but I don't know what the current deals are. As far as extending them I am like many here that I just don't do any of them and just keep a 'my shit just broke' fund and I'm sure we will all come out ahead by the end.

Rich, BigBird and sharkattack like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

19. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

So, we are looking for just this kind of info. We have a 17 Jeep GC Limited. We've had it in the shop 4 times so far.
    1. Misfire #2 cylinder with this work done. We were within warranty at this time. I doubt this much work would have actually been $145 in labor.
    jeep work.JPG

2. We had an evap leak. Out of warranty
    3. Cylinder 3 misfire. They diagnosed as a bad coil. Had them replace that as well as all spark plugs. How rad is it they put 1/3/5 plugs under the intake manifold?!?!?! Get the Jeep back and in 2 days.. same issue returns with check engine light showing soon after.
    4. Currently in the shop with a possible/likely blown head gasket. Never overheated so idk. 72k miles. Estimate for work was 4k. Made a bit of a stink about major issues within closeness of each other and barely out of warranty. Chrysler is helping with 2k towards this repair.

We love our Jeep. It does everything we need which includes hauling the dogs around, light towing, and doing some offroading. We've look at the new Santa Fe, Telluride, Sorento...and they just a bit too minivan with a crossover look but the tech is pretty tremendous. 4runner just has an ass motor (power wise), no tech, and poor mpg.

So, we are not confident in our current Jeep's engine. We are 3 years into payments and are positive worth in it.

So how it relates to this thread is that we are looking at getting another Jeep and getting a Mopar warranty that'll go to 125k (at least). My thought is that it's piece of mind that if the check engine light comes on, it goes to the dealer. I don't need to worry if it's a $200 fix or a $5k fix. Just take it in and let them fix it.

Of course Jeep has announced the new 3 row version (which we don't need) but that shows that the 2 row version should have the update EOY as a 22 model. So, we're trying to decide if we ditch the Jeep now to avoid any other big issues or run it through the summer/fall and get the new new when it's released and get the extended warranty. I'm just worried that it's going to decided to put a piston through the block before that would happen.

Love any thoughts on any of this.

20. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Yeah Volvo was even stronger till a few years ago. Unlimited miles/seven years or something crazy like that.

I’ve come out ahead buying it two times now, the third time unfortunately I never drive the car anyway. But I’ve found discount parties that sell the same OEM warranty for about 2k.