1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Extended Warranty: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Feb 27, 2021.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’m researching a new pickup and am considering the extended warranty. I’ve bought them before (and didn’t use them) for the Honda’s and Toyota’s I’ve bought, mostly for peace of mind.
    I’m not as concerned about needing them for a Tacoma or the new Frontier (not too worried about them). However, I’m also looking at Ford (Ranger & F150) & GM (Silverado & ZR2) and am not as sure of their quality over the Japanese.
    GM’s extended warranty is only able to be stretched to 60,000 miles; longer with a 3rd party warranty. Ford, Toyota, and Nissan all have longer factory backed extended warranties.
    I’m unsure about the 3rd party warranties. From what I’ve read, most are loaded with caveats that make them damn near useless. My gut tells me to just buy the Toyota or Nissan and stop worrying about it.

WWBD?
    What
    Would
    (the) Beeb
    Do

2. sdg

sdg *

Don't buy GM duh. Also, fuck extended warranties. (Daily = 300k Tacoma)

trussdude likes this.
  3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Hell no, they over sell insurance for every fucking thing now, even got ice T involved. Pretty soon they are going to sell insurance for when your insurance doesn't pay you! When I bought my truck and thought I was done they took me into a room and said what extended level of insurance do you want a.b, or c. I said none and spent the next 10 minutes saying no, no, and no, I'm not going to buy it until they finally gave up. 6 years later have put 1 new battery in my truck, one new key fob, and basic maintenance(oil changes, brakes ) Insurance is a load of shit and when something does go wrong there will be a loophole in the fine print that they won't pay, there's a reason they make billions of dollars of profit every year.

Gorilla George, Sabre699 and Phl218 like this.
  4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I bought them for my ford diesels out to 100K miles. Cost almost $4000, but based on my experience, that's cheep, especially considering the amount of towing I do. I figure the fish finder on the dash would cost almost that much to replace.

5. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

We've been trying to call you about this.

Kris87, badmoon692008, joec and 19 others like this.
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I did the 7 year/100k mile for my Yukon. Haven’t needed it yet, but for the $2500 I paid, worth the peace of mind. As stated above, if the radio dies, it’ll pay for itself. I do it to cover the electronics more than anything.

Phl218 and sharkattack like this.
  7. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

The seller of the extended warranty is literally betting that your car is somewhat reliable, and the buyer betting it isn't. Japanese vehicles are the way to go regardless of wheel count.

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Pure profit for the dealers. That’s why they push it so hard.

Ask them why they need to sell you an extended warranty? Don’t that have enough faith in their product’s durability?

The Todd and Banditracer like this.
  9. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

My sister just bought a new jeep Cherokee and purchased a 7 year Mopar warranty directly from them after the sale was completed for 1/3 the dealer cost. She paid $1500 they were charging $4500 for a less years.

This was news to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phl218 likes this.
  10. sdg

sdg *

I have a dipshit I work with who has a trim problem on a Subaru (don't buy a Subaru) who has had it at the dealer like 10 fucking times. For. A. Trim. Problem. I'm sure they love it every time he comes back.

He also has a visibly bent wheel and asked me if I thought that might cause vibration.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

In the same pickle here

CPO Benz for the wife... got a quote from Mercedes for 2 addtl years/100k miles at $2700

or an independent insurer for 5 years for a whooping $5.4k

Having opened valve bodies myself and done almost everything else on cars, the electronics is what concerns me most though.

But I think I skip the offer and bet on the car and myself

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't realize you could do that for less money on a factory warranty.

I knew you could by purchasing independent insurance. I bought independent insurance from my credit union one time on a 86 Dodge Grand Caravan, it was much less versus the dealer. I can't recall that we used it, the major transmission problem started after 100K miles.

Newyork likes this.
  13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My Dad did this exact same thing years ago when he bought a car. They practically held him hostage in the finance office. He left w/o buying the car. Went to another dealer and was in and out in about 30 minutes.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Absolutely extended warranty and absolutely third party.
    Now just pm me your phone # and I'll get some folks right on it. :D

15. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I was not aware of this possibility either and was happy to find it out. I see myself, and plenty of others who read this, using this information in the future.

Of course your issue started after the warranty expired...of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You can buy the extended factory anytime as long as the original hasn't expired.

17. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the Frontier, but of all manufacturers, a Nissan might have me looking at an extended factory warranty. They are no Toyota. YMMV

18. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I know your talking about trucks. You use to be able to buy the extended warranty for motorcycles on ebay. Some of the motorcycle dealers Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki use to offer the extended warranty at a discount.

19. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with Nissan pickups .Had one since 1986 .Sons moved back home so I have 3 in the driveway now.Never needed the extended warranty for any of them. The Toyota is a nice truck but the cost difference for me was never worth it.

Boman Forklift and Montoya like this.
  20. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Not no, but FUCK NO.

Friend of mine is a GM at an Audi dealership.....he drives a 300K Lambo to work most days and his license plate read's "Doc Fee"

Doc Fee's, Extended Warranties, whatever is all extra profit for the dealership.

Take that money you would spend on the warranty and safely invest it....I assure you, by the time you need the warranty, your investment will far out weigh the repair bill.

Phl218 and sharkattack like this.