1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Organization

Discussion in 'General' started by cBJr, Feb 24, 2019.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I just got a new to me Sprinter (2012 passenger 144"), and am looking for some advice on how to set it up for racing this year. I've read tons on sprinter-source.com, but would like some feedback from other racers.

First, I'd like to get my pit bull trailer restraint placed. This will be my only bike hauler, so I'll need it to work for my R6, dirtbikes and 1190 Adventure. I have two questions:

1) Has anybody regretted mounting the trailer restraint backwards? I did some measuring yesterday and noticed the handle sticks about 3.5" past the rear wheel. I figure it would give me a little more room to mount the restraint between the wheels. I've read that on some bikes the spools will interfere with the arms on the restraint. The only other negative I can see would be the possibility of tripping over the arms when loading or something. I don't know what it looks like when the restraint is hanging from the bike when loading.

2) Is there any huge drawback to mounting it on the driver's side? I know the weight balance when I'm travelling by myself would be better if mounted on the passenger side, but the advantage of being able to open the passenger side rear door without a bike in the way seems to trump that. It just seems like most vans have bikes on the passenger side, so I wonder if I'm missing something else.

If anybody has any other random van organization ideas, pictures, or else, post them up. I'll be doing a small build throughout the year, depending on how broke I am from racing. I'd like a bed soon, and maybe some overhead cabinets eventually.

2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

When in backwards spools do have to be removed iirc

3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

cBJr likes this.
  4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

If it has side windows in the rear, cut out some 1/4-3/8" plywood pieces, paint one side black, and install them inside the windows with the black side facing outward. this does several things: it hides your stuff from prying eyes, protects the glass from wayward motorcycle bits (especially if your bikes have handlebars as opposed to clip-ons), and gives you places to hang lightweight stuff like gloves, bungee and extension cords, etc. I made denim pockets for mine.

cBJr and Sabre699 like this.
  5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

What did you use to attach the boards to the walls?

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned with loading one bike on the drivers side. I only load a single bike on the right because it's easier for me to load that way, and with the longer Sprinter the bike is well behind the side door. I'm a bit surprised it's an issue on the 144".

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

It’s the rear door not the side that is an issue that I'm worried about. The first rear door to open is the passenger side. With the bike on the left I only have to open one door. With the bike on the right, I’d have to open the right door and then squeeze by the bike or open the other door.

On that note, it would be a minor issue for the side door as well. The clearance from my middle row of seats to the front wheel will be tight. With the bike on the left it will be a non issue.

I mounted my pitbull plate on the left last night. Only negative I see so far is loading the bike standing on the right after years of doing it the other way. I tried with both my racebike and dirtbike and it seems easy enough. Leaving the bike in gear is necessary to use the engine to lock the rear wheel though. The front wheel doesn’t get enough traction when braking going down. My sprinter has a small step on the rear bumper and it’s enouh to make the step into the van without walking up a ramp.

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking at them a lot. They’re cheap and I love the mesh basket option for letting my gear breathe. I just need to mount a board or something behind my ceiling panel so I have something to attach it to

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I cut the boards to fit in the recesses of the windows and held them in with short aluminum angle pieces screwed to the body. If I needed the windows to be windows, I could remove the boards by removing about 8 screws. I never removed them, though.

cBJr likes this.
  12. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Cut the handle. That’s what I did in order to be able to close the truck gate.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just flip the mount around, works great either direction.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I ended up just placing the plate in the normal orientation, as far back in the van as possible. The handle clears the door just fine that way.