1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vacuum food sealers

Discussion in 'General' started by 2Fer, Nov 5, 2015.

1. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Who has one and what do the recommend? looking to spend around $150-200. Want something good for freezing meat as well as sealing cuts that are being marinated.

2. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

Buy the Foodsaver 4980 at Costco, it is currently on sale for $119.99

My happy homemaking friends have tried them all and regardless of price or brand they all seem to break within a year. They love them, but, they malfunction in one way or another.

When it malfunctions, Costco will accept the return and you can buy another.

Michelle

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Those all suck.

4. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

:crackup: I see what you did there

OP - We've got the equivalent of the Foodsaver FM2100. It's running on 3-4 years of use and the only problem we had was the seal needed to be flipped over. I fully expect to have to replace it in another year or so. It does get used weekly when we split food into smaller portions since it's only two of us in the house.

5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Foodsaver brand...... say no more!

6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The Foodsaver does not work well for marinating unless you use the jars. I haven't found any of the end seal type machines that work well with liquids. I guess people who are really into it use ones that seal from the top. I have never used one of those though.

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Do they make any that aren't fully automatic, or at least don't don't seal until I tell it to?

8. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

On ours we can hit the button and it stops the vacuuming process early and then seals. It also has just a seal function (we use it for making our own bags for stuff like ribs, etc). I don't think that it has a function where it vacuums then holds it without sealing, if that's what your looking for.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The tether function can work ok or you can simply put the bag vertical and seal it that way.

If you want a machine that lasts a long time, you are looking at a commercial cryovac, and those go for about $400 and up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you get one don't clamp it on your sack.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Foodsaver V2470.

12. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

Food Saver, Costco, I sealed all sorts of stuff.

I always have it on me. Wet, dry, Im sealing shit. I've brought it on dates to 'seal the deal'. I also use the seal button mid vacuum often too - I've sealed hundreds of pounds of chronic.....food this way. I even sealed a baby seal.

When it breaks I clean it real, real well and return it. They last a few years. the Vacu-seal is a steal of a deal!

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And you say this why?

14. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

They don't make one that big.

15. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member