1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V5 class - KZ1000J build

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Barry Hasenkopf, Jun 7, 2018.

1. I recently joined and completed the riders school at Road Atlanta this past weekend. My CB350 was struggling but I believe I have the bugs worked out for the next race. Thank you Jack Houman!

Onto my question - I have an ‘82 KZ1000 and am 80% complete with the build. I believe it will fit into V5 and was wondering who else is running in V5 and if there are any other KZ1000’s out there?

BTW - really enjoyed the RA event and the Vintage riders I met were fantastic - very helpful and supportive!

rd400racer likes this.
  2. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

There will always be v 5 bikes on the grid. Mark Morrow is always there now, many Ex 500 and I bring my Duck out sometimes..... Can't go wrong in V-5 .... fun class and people in it !!!!

Barry Hasenkopf likes this.
  3. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Bring it up North to Grattan this weekend...even if it is only 80% built...I only ride at 60% anyway!:D

You can throw down against my 1977 kz650 in V-5.

4. Haha! Making a note of that... would love to see a pic of your KZ650!

5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I'm building a 1980 Suzuki GS1000 for V5. The build has taken much more than expected but it should at least be on the track this year. It would be great for these old bikes to meet in V5.

2Big4Bike and Barry Hasenkopf like this.
  6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

7. 2Big4Bike

Thanks Barry...I hope to see your KZ (on the grid...:D)

(Thanks for posting the link Britt:clap:)

8. How wild are you getting with your GS1000 build? Is using the original seat pan required?

9. dave3593

WERA does not require an original seat pan. Others do I think. My build is not wild at all. The biggest thing is newer brakes and some suspension work.

10. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

MORE than competitive in V5 !

11. dave3593

Wow whst a pretty 650. Is the inside of the motor as fixed up as the outside?
    2big, I see you're from Michigan. When I ran my v6 at gratten, the tire snakes scared the snot out if me. Was it just me?

12. 2Big4Bike

The bike is a "10 footer" (looks good from 10 feet away). Haven't been in the motor. Previous owner put bigger carbs on it and I'm told from people behind me that it smells like its running rich on the top end...that makes sense because it seems to fall on its face going down the straight.

The snakes aren't really much to worry about (but feel free to be overly cautious if we are ever on track together :D)...but the Grattan "secret sauce" that oozes out of the sealer in "Monza bowl (turn 8)" can be unnerving. :eek: