1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading YSR 50

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by GatorBait, May 24, 2012.

1. GatorBait

GatorBait Member

Anyone have experience putting a 65cc motor into a YSR 50 frame? If so, which motor & how?

If not - How about boring out the stock YSR motor and how big? 57cc? or could it go larger?

Thanks in advance :up:

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

haven't done it but raced against 'em.
    kx/rm65 seemed to be the choice of competitors back in the day.
    stock can be bored to 64cc, iirc. check wiseco for pistons.

for all out power increase, you best off with the water-cooled engines. they basically start around 15hp. a bored-to-64cc stock motor might make 8.5hp.

yeah, calamari is pretty much the name in the game.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have a Lifan 100cc (XR 100 copy) in mine. I had to fab a front frame cradle. It really wasn't that tough. I have another YSR that I will prob be swapping in another engine. Not to sure what I want to put in it just yet.

5. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

The air cooled yz80 motor (77-79) bolt in, they are not as quick as the water cooled 80's. The big bore kit for the stock motor will not run with a 65 motor in it, so if racing in a class that go's up to 65cc I would go with KDDI65 motor.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I had a YSR with a DT 175 2T motor stuffed in it. It wasn't safe.

7. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

ysr's can be made to be good, BUT it takes alot of.........investment. I have a very nice, and fast ysr, but it took making virtually every mistake that is possible to make. I can help make sure you don't make my mistakes. Feel to contact me and I'll help you go in the right direction, (which may or may not be a ysr).

8. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

the simpler solution- a KX 65 with a 12" wheel set.

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Definitely the bang for the buck answer. Should be able to find one already setup for what you would spend upgading the YSR. Plus, the mini motard seems to have the edge over the GP chassis if you decide to run cart tracks.

Of course, as :Poke: Mookie already knows, the KTM 65 is the superior platform.

10. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

Of course, as :Poke: Mookie already knows, the KTM 65 is the superior platform.[/QUOTE]

only when it stays together~

11. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

If you are interested, I have a YZ85 motor that I bought to put into my YSR50 or a go-kart, but I never got around to having it done. It's a Darcy DeCoste built motor, I think it's a 2002 and was used but rebuilt by DDR. It came with a pipe for a go kart - an M3, as I recall. It's all still in the box from DDR. I keep wanting to put it in a bike or go-kart but can't seem to get around to it - if you are interested in it, I'd entertain an offer, PM me.

12. earacing

earacing Race Dad

13. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

There is a 60kit from tcr and a few other kits, but I dont think they would keep up with the kitaco nsr kit. I think you can go as big as 72 cc top end on one,.......but not sure it would matter.

14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I am looking into putting an XR200 in a YSR frame this winter for our Formula class. Then I will have a YXR100 and YXR200.