1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Basic Income

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If you qualify. The rules keep changing to make bankruptcy harder and to make sure the creditors (the wealthy) get as much of their money back as possible.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Have you ever started a business?

The short answer to your question is yes, there are many more opportunities for the resourceful. Personal credit abounds where it did not in the past.

All business start ups are huge risks, with almost zero help from anyone. People today mostly go to college to be a cog in someone else's wheel (they hope). Except those who go to learn a technical trade, they are your entrepreneurs of tomorrow.

The people who you are saying may benefit from this windfall of comfort are already proving to you that they will NOT better themselves from your benevolence. If they already have the resources to fill their houses with Overstock and IKEA b.s., they have already made their choice. Consumption versus investment. And you believe that they are just a bit short on resources. If only they had another thousand bucks, woohoo.

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Desiderio Alberto Arnaz y de Acha III

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I tried to explain this a few pages ago. UBI would be one of two things: either pro-longing the inevitable collapse of our economy (especially if the market isn't freed up to make it's own corrections), or the saving grace of our way of life in that it would undo 30-40 years of mismanagement and acceptance of corporate greed as the standard and allowing normal people to be more than cogs in a wheel.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Could not find the one about large scale UBI working. Might have been a hoot to read the commie shit that was sprinkled with fairy dust and read to the children by a unicorn.

But really it will work THIS time :crackup:

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I get it (and I agree), but our current path is worse. Seriously, NOBODY in this entire thread has offered up a better solution. The middle class will soon be crushed out by taxation, debt, healthcare expense, and wage stagnation. Then what?

Here's the original link: https://medium.com/basic-income/wou...ome-just-cause-massive-inflation-fe71d69f15e7

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Bob and Joe decide to make some extra money by selling Christmas trees.
    They get themselves a truck and buy a bunch of trees for $10 apiece.
    They drive into the city where they sell the trees for $10 apiece.
    Bob says to Joe "You know, we didn't make much money"
    Joe replies "I know, next year we'll have to get a bigger truck".

tl1098 likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

To be fair, Fox News hasn’t told them what to think yet.

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

So, we’re supposed to provide a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How do you solve the problem of your motor blowing up on the last lap, two weeks before your race weekend?

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Simple. I either fix/replace the motor (not on credit) or I don’t race. No one with sense races on credit. That’s discussed here ALL the time. But since you seem to be convinced no one has cash, that won’t fit your narrative. You actually think the super rich horde all the cash? Huge amounts of their wealth is based on non-liquid assets. I have zero stats to back it up, and I don’t care to research it, but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to find that the bulk of actual cash held is within the middle class ranks.

12. sheepofblue

I have to disagree with you. Sure things are not perfect but the world is not ending. As to the death of the middle class I think that is also over stated by those having an interest in chaos and discord. Americans have more opportunity, more cool things, access to better healthcare, nicer homes, etc than say 20 years ago by a HUGE amount. Don't focus on class focus on the incredible prosperity we live in.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That goes both ways. There are plenty to benefit from the status quo with no chaos.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Bwahahahahahahah. You are sooooooo clever.

15. sheepofblue

Sorry you were one preaching collapse not me.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That doesn’t make any sense. While there are surely subsets that benefit from sowing discord, there are generally significantly more that benefit from maintaining the current lie. In fact, we know who they are. They’re exactly the people who set the system up to benefit themselves the most.

17. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I just find it funny that people pretend inflation won't happen. Cause corporations are so kind and generous they won't raise their prices even though everyone has extra spending cash each month. I'm sure out of the goodness of their hearts they will keep prices the same.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If there was actual competition, they wouldn’t be able to raise prices much, if at all.

19. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Pack it in fellas, we just solved inflation!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. sheepofblue

"The middle class will soon be crushed out by taxation, debt, healthcare expense, and wage stagnation. Then what?" YOU were preaching disaster. I am not. The system while far from perfect is pretty much working. The dangers are from those that want to fundamentally change our system not its imperfections.