1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Basic Income

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Feb 13, 2019.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's not an argument, you're simply naysaying.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

3. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

The irony of “the government interference and giving tax intecentives and creating these problems” in the same sentence as “the government will do right with UBI” is staggering.

Why do you speak of UBI and “real” money? Where is this money going to come from?

It’s the same stupid bullshit I hear from my liberal mother. “Oh id rather have them on welfare than out there robbing people”
    “Oh so now I’m basically paying protection money via social programs? String a few of em up in street lights and see how much more effective that will be from preventing them to think about becoming criminals”

Nothing the government touches works or is effective. Nothing.

speeddaddy and Spang308 like this.
  4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: This times 1000.

Spang308 likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Agreed. The government is a disaster. For any level of success, there would have to be an overhaul of government. I read something recently that implied that something to the tune of 85% of government employees could be eliminated with little to no effect on services.

The rest would come from spending cuts and some sort of tax on the wealthy. The whole idea is that it would be a voluntary redistribution of wealth to keep the economy from stagnating and falling apart. It’s kind of a “lesser of two evils”.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Careful
    engineer.jpg

Banditracer likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

8. In Your Corner

I used to drive #83 around Boston.

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

#1 works for me.

10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I still find it hard to believe Fakeboob is #5 and fb jr is also on the list.

11. In Your Corner

What it does is free them from having to go to work during the day so they
    can spend their time engaging in criminal activity to get more money.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

yep

13. Chango

Chango Something clever!

If you try to tax the wealthy, won't the wealthy just leave? Like New York? If they're so wealthy that they can afford to prop up the dumbasses that spend more than they earn every week then they're wealthy enough to go somewhere that won't tax them into poverty.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are you not familiar with the definition of “voluntary”?

This isn’t about welfare, it’s about saving our economic system.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

You started out asking for information. After 10 pages of answers on all the negatives with UBI and why it wouldn't work you still want to argue for it? Was your original question just rhetorical? :confused:

sheepofblue likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

10 pages of answers from people who didn’t even take the time to research it beyond a quick headline scan, if at all. I was looking for an educated discussion, not a bunch of curmudgeons crying “get off my lawn freeloader”.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

So, until one of us decides to stop thinking and just agree with you we must be wrong....I get it.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, you don’t. Until someone can have an educated discussion that actually addresses the real concerns and potential pitfalls (which I’ve openly admitted). Every argument against it has come from the position that it would be a massive expansion of welfare, and that somehow, it would turn the entire middle class into a bunch of freeloading trailer park dwellers.

It’s similar to someone saying that a Harley Davidson is faster than a gsxr1000 because it’s got bigger motor. That person clearly has no freaking clue what they’re talking about.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I also listened to Andrew Wang on JRE talking about UBI. I found it an interesting idea, and the 12k a year could fund my racing. I am just a little skeptical about where the money is coming from:
    In order for everyone person to get 12k a year from UBI, the goverment has to at least get 12k a year from taxes. He seemed to say that most of the money would come from existing programs, but it is a lot of money they need to come up with.

And about the economy, I dont think it is failing.
    Most of my friends are better off than their parents were (at least from what I can tell).

20. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

You CAN NOT lift someone out of poverty. They must do it themselves. You can give a non educated, lazy, drug addicted, or any other failing trait person a push and as soon as the push ceases, they will fall back to the level they are comfortable with, i.e. where they were before.
    It is simply another welfare concept that will fail.
    If you want the middle class to grow, fix the failing education system and quit rewarding idiots for having kids they can't raise properly.
    You said 10 pages ago you don't endorse UBI. You've spent 10 pages aguing for it. It is simply put a stupid idea. If you like it so much, find someone you feel would benefit from it and you give them 1000 dollars or whatever figure you think would give them the boost you are arguing for. I can tell you right now what will happen. They'll piss it away on going out to eat, nicer cloths, expensive sneakers they don't need, etc. Shut off your donation and they'll likely be worse off than before due to having "adjusted" to their new found lifestyle and no longer able to affort it. Here comes the credit card debit and financial ruin.
    Fix stupid people and you'll see prosperity grow. Cash is a band aid.
    I endorse education choice and education assistance. Not a blanket free college for everyone, because we all know a) it's not free and b) it needs to be to those that deserve it. It needs to be merit based. It needs to be based on grades and effort. Free school for everyone would be as stupid and pointless as UBI. Those willing to put in the work should be assisted and given the tools to succeed. Those that aren't shouldn't. Period.