1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

United Airlines getting roughed up on social media

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by crashman, Mar 27, 2017.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So what does everyone think of this. IMO, United Airlines is well within their rights to demand a dress code for passengers flying nonrev. The 2 girls in question were flying for free and it is pretty much universally known that you need to follow the airlines dress code when flying for free as an employee or family of employee. It seems more like "I didn't get my way so I am going to make a fuss" than anything but now that vaporheads like Chrissy Teigen have gotten ahold of it United is being accused of body shaming and about 10 different "ist's"...

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fakebook and the twatters are the debbil.

Banditracer likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What are you talking about?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I don't see it that way at all. If the story I read was correct, at least one of them was a 10 year old girl in leggings.

In any case, "gate agent discretion" is a bullshit policy in this case. Unless there's a clear violation, like what 10/10 would consider offensive, they've just done some PR damage to themselves when people already hate flying due to airline policies nickel and diming them to death.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I disagree dart...if these girls were family of employees they and/or their parents knew the policy. The most likely outcime is that United will simply stop offering this benefit to employees. I would...friggin ingrates.

7. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

There is a clear policy of dress code for employees or anyone using employee "buddy passes". I did it for a long time and you have to wear dress pants and a collared shirt if you are male. I always remember my sisters dressing nice too. I've seen people denied for looking like slobs. This is a bullshit story started by someone sticking their nose in others business and posting it on social media without having any facts.

badmoon692008, Robby-Bobby and Photo like this.
  8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

You're flying for free under employee benefits, you follow the guidelines. I remember the days of coat/tie to use employee/non rev tickets, they have become very lax since then. Still you want to use a free ticket follow the rules or buy a ticket and wear whatever you want.

418, Photo and TX Joose like this.
  9. Lawn Dart

But when the fuck did "leggings" become inappropriate attire for a 10 year old? According to posts on Twitter, this "Rule 21" merely says "Passengers who are barefoot or not properly clothed". When pressed on it, United Social Media Representative said, "This is left to the discretion of the gate agents."

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry. Company policy for a FREE ride trumps your indignation and the child's parents should have been aware of the restrictions. I don't fault the kid, but the parents are obviously unappreciative for the benefit they receive.

badmoon692008, Photo and crashman like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I had to buy a shirt at an airport in Alabama. I'm getting mad again thinking about it. I am unable to make an unbiased comment at this point.

12. Lawn Dart

My point is that the company policy is not specific. Anything left to "gate agent discretion" is a bullshit policy. Stepping on a land mine isn't the way to know whether the policy has been violated.

Unfortunately, there aren't pictures of the incident to settle it once and for all.

The sad thing here is, in no way would anyone ever mistake a 10 year old girl for "representing the airline".

13. Lawn Dart

To cover your yoga pants? :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Employee ticket, not following dress code. No leeway and no issue in this case.

If you want the free flight you follow the rules.

Photo likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the 10 year old is wearing yoga pants then she's not dressed properly.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Anytime you use the benefits afforded to others you are bound by the same rules as the beneficiary. United was right.

Now take off that Orioles hat.

[​IMG]

Focker, E Reed and G 97 like this.
  17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Spill it.

18. Lawn Dart

Well, that's the part that's not clear.

No one should be allowed to wear yoga pants in public, unless they're of legal age... and do squats regularly. :D

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

For me the worst part of this whole mess will be having to endure the sight of all of the water buffalos in yoga pants at the airport that are trying to show United how "empowered" they are...:Puke:

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I hate you. :D

I flew there for free on one airline (my employer). I was going to Team Hammer HQ for a couple of hours. Things got complicated with the return leg and I had to fly Delta home. Still free, but my dressing style no longer passed the gate test.